iPod - not keeping the files on the computer

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

noho_2003

Sep 10, 2007
I just bought the new 160 giga iPod and I'm so excited: I will finally be able to store more than 1 complete tv show on there! :laugh2:

Here comes my question. Maybe it's something really easy, but I can't figure it out myself... Is it possible to transfer the files (mp3 and video) from my computer to my iPod without having to keep the copies on my computer afterwards? Before I had a 30 giga iPod and it was bugging me already that all that space was taken up on my computer... now with 160 giga it would be even more wasteful... Any idea?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I just bought the new 160 giga iPod and I'm so excited: I will finally be able to store more than 1 complete tv show on there! :laugh2:

Here comes my question. Maybe it's something really easy, but I can't figure it out myself... Is it possible to transfer the files (mp3 and video) from my computer to my iPod without having to keep the copies on my computer afterwards? Before I had a 30 giga iPod and it was bugging me already that all that space was taken up on my computer... now with 160 giga it would be even more wasteful... Any idea?
In a word....no. Your computer and the Ipod mirror each other; if its not on the computer it wont be on the Ipod.

If you have it on the Ipod, then delete from the computer, if you're set to sync when Ipod gets plugged in, iTunes will immediately start removing FROM the Ipod what it doesn't see on the computer.

Hope that helps/makes sense to you.

I would suggest getting yourself an external harddrive and back-up your tunes/videos. I use my external as my source because I don't want music/movies taking up all the space on my computer.

Have fun with your new toy! :laugh2:

kellybelly

Aug 13, 2007
Chicago-ish, IL
Yes, it is possible... you just need to manually manage the music on the iPod in order to do it.

Follow the instructions here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304708#2

Once you drag the files to the iPod and they're fully copied over, you can delete them from your computer.

Just note, that as the above user said, if you set it to sync music later, anything that is not on your computer in iTunes will be removed from the iPod. So keep it on manual!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You will definitely have to manage your own files otherwise iTunes WILL in fact delete the files from your iPod if they are no longer present on the computer. And to make matters worse, it will not let you take the files off of your iPod and put them back onto the computer. I purchased "iPod Copy" or a similar named software product and it allows me to take all of the files off my (or anyone else's iPod) and put them back onto my computer. I suggest looking into that, that way you never lose your files.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, it is possible... you just need to manually manage the music on the iPod in order to do it.

Follow the instructions here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304708#2

Once you drag the files to the iPod and they're fully copied over, you can delete them from your computer.

Just note, that as the above user said, if you set it to sync music later, anything that is not on your computer in iTunes will be removed from the iPod. So keep it on manual!
Thanks for that link; learn something new everyday. :)

I would be so afraid of losing everything on my Ipod due to a glitch or anything else that could happen that could possibly make my Ipod crash and become useless.

Just imagine having to hunt down 100's/1000's of songs/video. Nothing beats an external drive.