iPod said library was empty....

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
so this morning, I am getting ready for work and I plugged my iPhone into a set of speakers I have in the bathroom to listen to while in the shower. I connected the speakers and launched the iPod function and it said it was updating my iTunes, and then said my library was empty.
I immediately went and connected my phone to my PC and hit Sync in iTunes and even before the sync started, it showed my music and movies in the bar below.
After the sync, I launched iPod again, and again it said it was updating my iTunes, but this time when it finished, I had my library back.

Anyone ever have this happen?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Dude splash some water on your face, take a leak, or something before operating electronics!:sneaky:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's the same routine I always do during the work week. It was just friggin strange I get an error that the library was missing. I have never seen anything like that before, and never seen the message to wait while iTunes updates your library before either.

Should have taken a screen shot....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would have rebooted the phone before resyncing. Sometimes it just gets confused I think.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, the confusion is growing. Left work today and it was searching for signal and never found one till I rebooted.
I have to say, 3.1 is too buggy and should not have been released.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
Well, the confusion is growing. Left work today and it was searching for signal and never found one till I rebooted.
I have to say, 3.1 is too buggy and should not have been released.
Agree. it's a vicious looping circle of signal searching, like tuning my old FM radio for a channel every time I turn it on. :D

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hawk, I have had the message saying the iPhone is updating its library. Usually happens after a restore or a large change in my media library. Usually after about 30 seconds it goes away. After its gone however, I have never been told my library is empty.

Could it be something stupid like you were drilled down into a genre or media type that you have none of? For example, if you have no video and you had hit "video" in the ipod app without realising?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Nope. I have 4.6 GB of music and 5 movies. When I connected to the PC, the status bar showed everything there before I hit sync, but the iPod function said no media.
the sync was normal, nothing added, and everything was there when it was done.

The problem with no signal has happened twice now... one more time and I will be taking it into Apple. I was smart this time though, and bought Apple care, as my first year ends on October 7th.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I didn't realize it was still under warranty Hawk. I would have gotten it replaced long ago considering all the problems you have with it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The last time I took it in, they hooked it up and said it was better than fine. The new diagnostics tool they have is for turning down those that want a replacement for minor repairs.