iPod touch 5G Battery Fluctuates?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by justinfabregasss, Aug 7, 2013.

1. justinfabregasss

justinfabregasss New Member

Hello guys , I just bought a iPod Touch 5G and after the first charge, I used it and realize the battery fluctuates. When I play a game just for 15 seconds , it'd decrease 5% and later on increase again. I found it annoying and went to Apple to do a change. Now this set is still the same problem! Can anybody help? Is it a hardware failure or is it that I have to charge a few times? Help is appreciated :) thank you!

-Note : not jailbroken but i restored as a backup from my iPhone thus having a percentage.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not a hardware failure. The battery percentage is just an estimate so it's not going to be 100% accurate. It might drop to 1% and stay there for 10 minutes before powering off one time and power itself off at 5% the next cycle. Letting it drain down to zero and power itself off calibrates it so it's more accurate, but it will still vary.

It also might be more inaccurate on the iPod Touch since it isn't a stock feature. How much is yours fluctuating?

3. justinfabregasss

Let's say i have 90% of battery now , and just 15 secs into a game like Minion Rush for instance , it will drop down to 85%. Later it will increase again. Is it true that the indicator fluctuates a lot on the iPod Touches because it is not a stock feature ?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Probably. You said it did it on both iPods. I've been using the battery percentage on iPhones since it was first made available years ago and while it's not 100% accurate, I've never once seen it decrease and then increase back to where it was.

5. justinfabregasss

So it's safe to say that it's normal and perfectly fine? And it's safe to say that nothing is wrong with my iPod Touch hardware and stuff? So I shouldn't do a change again right?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There's nothing wrong with your hardware. This is a software feature - a software feature that isn't included in iPod Touch firmware and thereforee is not optimized for it.

7. justinfabregasss

Alright I see! So there isn't a need for me to do an exchange again right?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Correct. You do not need to exchange it.

9. justinfabregasss

Alright I see. My usage time is 4 hours plus and standby it's about 9 hours and 30mins. Is the battery life good?

10. justinfabregasss

And yes is the VoiceOver accurate? I tried using that for my battery percentage and sometimes it fluctuates too.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's about what I get on my iPhone 5.
    That's also just an estimate, but you could restore to factory settings if you're concerned about it.

12. justinfabregasss

I've tried restoring but from voice over , it fluctuates by a few percent. Should i be worried?

13. justinfabregasss

Let me clear all my doubts , sorry D;

1. Should i be worried about the fluctuation? Cause i get worried whenever i play games..
    2. In your opinion , should i get an exchange again?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. It's just an estimate. Fluctuation by a few percent isn't a problem.
    1. I would definitely not be concerned about this. I think your battery is fine. Your usage time is good.
    2. No.

15. justinfabregasss

My usage time is not including heavy game usage. Based on your point of view , there's really nothing wrong with my iPod Touch?

16. justinfabregasss

Hello there , I have been experiencing weird charging issues on my iPod. For instance , i charge it at 1/4 length of battery , and in 10 to 15 minutes , it's 3/4 length of battery. Is this normal? Thanks.:)

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you still going by the percentage that carried over from a backup of your iPhone? If so, that's probably why. You're using a feature that was intended for a different device. It's not optimized for the iPod. Continuing to use your old thread for additional battery questions (instead of starting a new one for each new battery-related question) would make troubleshooting this easier.

18. justinfabregasss

No. I'm not using any percentages . I set up as a new iPod . Any help?

19. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Take it Apple store and have a genius run diagnostics on it. That will give you the best answer.
    Total of 3 threads started now in this very same subject? C'mon man, thought the closing of your other thread and a mod asking you to stick with the original thread was a nice 'hint'!