iPod touch and WiFi.....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

obn0xious

Dec 3, 2007
I basically have a question that has been bugging me for the past few days and i haven't found an answer to through research on the net. Either i suck at researching or i didn't look hard enough.

I know that people can get an internet connection by using their phones as a median to pick up signals ( or whatever it is it does ). I was wondering is this done by wifi bluetooth or what? Knowing you can use you cell phone to gain an internet connection, is it plausible to say that we can do the same with the iPod touch? Meaning, is it possible for me to use my Smartphone treo 700 wx to connect through the internet with my iPod touch? If so, that would be so dope and i would like to know how. Thanks people. :laugh2:

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I basically have a question that has been bugging me for the past few days and i haven't found an answer to through research on the net. Either i suck at researching or i didn't look hard enough.

I know that people can get an internet connection by using their phones as a median to pick up signals ( or whatever it is it does ). I was wondering is this done by wifi bluetooth or what? Knowing you can use you cell phone to gain an internet connection, is it plausible to say that we can do the same with the iPod touch? Meaning, is it possible for me to use my Smartphone treo 700 wx to connect through the internet with my iPod touch? If so, that would be so dope and i would like to know how. Thanks people. :laugh2:
Your touch only has wifi... and no other type of signal (tranmitter or receiver).. your phone has EVDO and bluetooth... like this.... they won't talk to each other... if you can get wifi on your 700 WX... via a wifi card that works in your SD card slot then there is a hack where you can connect the ipod touch to the smartphone to use its EVDO connection.

See this link for instructions: http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html

obn0xious

Dec 3, 2007
Your touch only has wifi... and no other type of signal (tranmitter or receiver).. your phone has EVDO and bluetooth... like this.... they won't talk to each other... if you can get wifi on your 700 WX... via a wifi card that works in your SD card slot then there is a hack where you can connect the ipod touch to the smartphone to use its EVDO connection.

See this link for instructions: http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html
Wow man thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. On the site where you go to download the registry editor stuff it gives me a list of options to choose a phone type, and it has all these smartphones, handheld and pocketPC options but i have no idea which one to choose. I currently have a Treo 700 w x running on WM5. Do you have any idea which one am i supose to choose? The answer might be obvious to some of you but im not too tech savvy

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Wow man thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. On the site where you go to download the registry editor stuff it gives me a list of options to choose a phone type, and it has all these smartphones, handheld and pocketPC options but i have no idea which one to choose. I currently have a Treo 700 w x running on WM5. Do you have any idea which one am i supose to choose? The answer might be obvious to some of you but im not too tech savvy
Well I am not too sure.. I have a Motorola Q and that takes smartphone downloads. My wife has a 700wx and I am about 70% sure it is the same. So Sorry I can't help you there. You can probably search for registery editors on everythingtreo.com and find out what people are using. The brand of the reg. editor shouldn't matter. I was all exicted when I researched this a while back, but unfortuanlty my Moto Q won't power a wifi card. So I would make sure your 700 wx can. Spectec appears to be the maker of most SD wifi cards for PDAs and smartphones.

purcebont

Dec 13, 2007
i have a nokia 6275i cell phone. Does anyone know if i would be able to use this wifi "sd card thing" with my phone? Or is there any other way i would be able to use my phones internet on my iPod touch? Any info would be so awesome and would be greatly appreciated:)