iPod touch has WiFi b/g but iPhone has WiFi b only?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
is this true? why wouldn't Apple have given the first generation iPhone b/g wifi as well? it's not exactly cutting edge.....more like old technology

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
is this true? why wouldn't Apple have given the first generation iPhone b/g wifi as well? it's not exactly cutting edge.....more like old technology
uh idk what b/g is but im sure it was probably cause they couldnt fit the part for it into the iPhone or something like that or maybe they couldnt figure out how to add it to the iPhone by the time it had to be out

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
uh idk what b/g is but im sure it was probably cause they couldnt fit the part for it into the iPhone or something like that or maybe they couldnt figure out how to add it to the iPhone by the time it had to be out

b and g are wireless protocols. I believe that b connection speeds are 10 mb/s whereas g go up to 50 mb/s

b is the old old protocol, g is newer (but has been around for years), n is the newest.........and is officially still in "draft" form so not very standard at the moment outside of laptops and desktops

but..........considering the time difference between iPhone and ipod touch is only 3 months, and that production of the ipod touch probably began months ago, i can't believe Apple wouldn't give the iPhone b/g wifi as well

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Just for discussion sake, it probably wouldn't matter much if the iPhone only had b at 10Mb/s since that is far faster than any Internet connection you are probably going to encounter. The advantage to the g at 54Mb/s is when connected to a network where the exchange of data is between the wireless device and other PCs or servers on the LAN. Bottom line is that b is probably all you really need. My iPhone connects to my wireless router at g protocol speeds, but only sees the Internet at my slower DSL rate of about 3Mb/s.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Just for discussion sake, it probably wouldn't matter much if the iPhone only had b at 10Mb/s since that is far faster than any Internet connection you are probably going to encounter. The advantage to the g at 54Mb/s is when connected to a network where the exchange of data is between the wireless device and other PCs or servers on the LAN. Bottom line is that b is probably all you really need. My iPhone connects to my wireless router at g protocol speeds, but only sees the Internet at my slower DSL rate of about 3Mb/s.

yes you are correct, the iPhone hardware itself is a major bottleneck regarding bandwidth. Wifi G and N are essentially useless for this version.......

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
yes you are correct, the iPhone hardware itself is a major bottleneck regarding bandwidth. Wifi G and N are essentially useless for this version.......
I agree that I am correct ;) but I disagree that the bottleneck is the iPhone. The real bottleneck for most iPhone WiFi speed is the speed of the underlying Internet feed. The iPhone can theoretically pick up speeds up to 50Mb. or so, the speed of the g protocol. But few underlying feeds exceed 10Mb/s, the theoritical speed of the slower b protocol.

This is all really just so much talk because most of us are happy when our iPhone Internet moves along briskly, which for me happens with anything above 3Mb/s or so.

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
The real question is, what was the choice beverage? :p

Well........I can't exactly strut into a bar, whip out my $600 iPhone and order a cheap rolling rock now could I? Nah, we need to represent, hence the imported beers, grey goose vodka drinks, bombay sapphire gin drinks, patron taquila drinks, not the silver kind of course, perhaps anejo, etc...............

well that was all before the iPhone price got slashed.........now at $400 bucks, when ordering rolling rock, i no longer look like a fish out of water :)

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I agree that I am correct ;) but I disagree that the bottleneck is the iPhone. The real bottleneck for most iPhone WiFi speed is the speed of the underlying Internet feed. The iPhone can theoretically pick up speeds up to 50Mb. or so, the speed of the g protocol. But few underlying feeds exceed 10Mb/s, the theoritical speed of the slower b protocol.

This is all really just so much talk because most of us are happy when our iPhone Internet moves along briskly, which for me happens with anything above 3Mb/s or so.
lol i agree with you again but with that said, I have tested iPhone wifi speeds over connections that I know are well over 15mb/s and it always tops about at around 5-6mb/s MAX. The iPhone hardware bottleneck is obvious when I go to all my favorite website and they take an additional 5-8 seconds to load over a standard computer.