iPod Touch is the new laptop?

Jan 10, 2007
a lot of people i've been talking to say the ipod touch is the new laptop. you can get it in any country in the world now. the iPhone is only availale in about 3 countries.
the great thing i like about the ipod touch is the wifi web browsing. i will take it with me in my pocket instead of my laptop.
all it needs is the ability to type word,and excel documents and view pdf's.

infosprt

Aug 9, 2007
From my experience with the iPhone the Safari browser is great for passive viewing. However, when you make a post for example the keyboard makes it very tedious.

It would be nice if there was a butterfly type keyboard which could plug into the touch. Not quite a good as a laptop but close and a heck of a lot smaller.

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
i think th iPhone is more of a laptop then an ipod touch. the only reason i would c buying is for a little kid who cant have cell phone.

Houdini07

Sep 25, 2007
I agree that the iPhone makes a better laptop than the iPod touch. The Touch has been having some problems.... I'm going to wait until Apple irons them out.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The iPhone is more of a laptop. More features that a laptop could have (i.e: Camera, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Notes, Email). And like you said, lacking Word Documents.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
From my experience with the iPhone the Safari browser is great for passive viewing. However, when you make a post for example the keyboard makes it very tedious.

It would be nice if there was a butterfly type keyboard which could plug into the touch. Not quite a good as a laptop but close and a heck of a lot smaller.

Apple will never admit it's mistake made when leaving out a regular keyboard. The "touch screen" typing experience just doesn't cut it.

The "extra butterfly keyboard" has already flunked out with Palm and others, as you have too much to carry that does too little.

Finally Apple is having enough trouble just trying to decide what they are going to offer and at what price. Let's not overload them with more requests for a device that actually works as they claim.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States

The keyboard is actually quite good if you use it and trust its intelligence after a week or so of use. Also remember, rotate your iPod touch or iPhone to landscape mode to achieve a bigger keyboard in Safari.

At least for me, I like the keyboard, i've found it to be much better then any other smartphone i've had before with tiny little fixed keys.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
The keyboard is actually quite good if you use it and trust its intelligence after a week or so of use. Also remember, rotate your iPod touch or iPhone to landscape mode to achieve a bigger keyboard in Safari.

At least for me, I like the keyboard, i've found it to be much better then any other smartphone i've had before with tiny little fixed keys.
I actually enjoy the iPhone's keyboard. It seems like the more you use it, the faster it gets.... that might just be mind over matter though.

What concerned me while using it is the fact that I have very long nails. The Treos were becoming to awkward for me to use, so I moved over to PPC with slide out keyboard.

As you may have guessed, I am not cutting my nails. ;)

Anyway, with the Touch lacking many of what the iPhone currently has, its hard for me to imagine the Touch as a new laptop.

BC Girl

Oct 11, 2007
I think it almost could be...

a lot of people i've been talking to say the ipod touch is the new laptop. you can get it in any country in the world now. the iPhone is only availale in about 3 countries.
the great thing i like about the ipod touch is the wifi web browsing. i will take it with me in my pocket instead of my laptop.
I agree - being able to use the iPod Touch to surf the web via WiFi is GREAT IMHO, and a better experience than web surfing on the iPhone. If you added the programs you mentioned it would be lke a great little laptop - with the only drawback being no ability to type fast (so maybe speech recognition instead for WORD docs)?

BC Girl

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
iPod touch != Laptop

How ridiculous! I had a touch for less than a week before sending it back and importing an iPhone to unlock. IMO, although the touch is a really cool iPod....it's certainly doesn't come close to a laptop in any respect.

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
True, it is a phone and no one's negating that. It's just that for some people, the iPhone and/or the iPod Touch function well enough to be a replacement for a laptop. In my case, it's far from being a replacement but it does do some computer tasks nicely in lieu of my MBP when I don't want to carry a laptop around.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
I agree - being able to use the iPod Touch to surf the web via WiFi is GREAT IMHO, and a better experience than web surfing on the iPhone.
I may be missing something here, but why is the iPod Touch a better web surfing experience than an iPhone? Isn't the iPhone web surfing with WiFi exactly the same?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I actually enjoy the iPhone's keyboard. It seems like the more you use it, the faster it gets.... that might just be mind over matter though.

What concerned me while using it is the fact that I have very long nails. The Treos were becoming to awkward for me to use, so I moved over to PPC with slide out keyboard.

As you may have guessed, I am not cutting my nails. ;)

Anyway, with the Touch lacking many of what the iPhone currently has, its hard for me to imagine the Touch as a new laptop.
Hehe, I've wondered how women with 2inch nails were going to type on this thing, I guess that would cause problems....