iPod touch making my PC crash

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
I was hoping someone could help with my ipod problems. I've got an 8gb touch which instantly makes my windows xp laptop restart immediately upon connecting the device via USB. Before the restart takes place I do very brefily see a blue screen with some old school white error message appearing but can no way be read quick enough before it goes. Any ideas people?

Next problem, my iTunes doesn't connect to the Apple store which means I can't download anything from it!?i think it also means i can't download any applications for my iPod touch because thats not happening either.

And one last final problem when i press the youtube icon on the iPod touch a message comes up saying 'you must first connect to iTunes with an internet connection to enable youtube'.......say what?!surfing the internet via wifi is no problem though.

Please help

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sounds like your ipod is crashing your computer due to a corrupt driver, or maybe the "iTunes helper" process. The easiest way to fix these issues (given that your computer crashes if your ipod is connected) would be to uninstall iTunes, and reinstall it.

To use the iTunes store, you must have an iTunes account, and sign-in... have you done that yet?

not sure about the youtube thing... haven't run into that on my iPhone...

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
Ok thanks il try re-installing iTunes. Nope, i've never been asked to set up an iTunes account but i imagine bank details are require at hand just incase i wanted to make a few purchases so i'l also go away and find out how to sign up.

Thnks again for a speedy reply

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
to create an iTunes account you will need to register with a credit card.

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
argh, no luck!i uninatalled iTunes like you suggested via "add/remove programs" through the control panel and downloaded iTunes from the Apple website and installed it, connected my ipod and same blue screen and crashing:(

also about creating an iTunes account, my laptop doesn't seem to like that idea.whilst in iTunes, every time i click on iTunes store the following error message with a red cross icon appears in a small box saying:

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. the network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct an your network connection is active, then try again."

this is very frustrating because as you can see, off the same PC i have managed to get on the internet fine and type this message which would suggest my internet connection is fine- i suppose internet settings is another matter though?!

i've tried endlessly navagating around iTunes tryiong to see how i can fix the problem. I even went to the "help" tab and clicked on "run diagnostics..." and just clicked on the "network connectivity tests" tick box and run that, and you know what happens....?.....iTunes freezes!argh!techno rage

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
next thing i would do is try it in safe mode. turn off your computer, then turn it back on, and tap "F8" until you see the option to startup in Safe Mode with Networking. Once you login try doing all of that same stuff. If it works, it means there's probably some other program on your computer causing a conflict of some sort.

Apr 12, 2009
ipod crashing pc

i just got this info from another thread and the fix totally worked great. I had to uninstall my Logitech camera from PC. Problem solved. Conflict between that and the Ipod Touch.

Thanks!

ThatsitBC

Feb 1, 2009
What Country are you in? Not all have iStore access

Apr 14, 2009
I know this sounds ridiculous. But delete all your pictures in that "SAVED PHOTOS" directory in your Photos app. Like all your screenshots. EVERY SINGLE One.

Don't ask. It worked for me, if you don't believe me its in the Apple support website. ^^ i don't have the time to fish through it.

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
hey it's me again, been quite busy with uni work lately so can't really afford my computer to be playing up that much.i tried starting the computer in safe mode and when i plug in the iPod touch no crashing.iTunes wont open in safe mode however.i then restarted the computer in normal mode and the same crash occurred.before doing this i ran AVG free antivirus software which did a whole system scan for any viruses and only one thing came up that needed to be healed, which i did successfuly.i am sick of this problem:( what do you guys suggest next?

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
i don't know if this information helps but you know when you press ctrl+alt+delete and windows task manager comes up, when i go to the 'processes' tab theres a whole bunch of stuff going on which i notice doesn't when safe mode is on by comparing the two different modes.things that sound related to Apple/iTunes are:
iexplore.exe
iPodService.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
so i don't know if these things should be running etc.
also i was wondering did i properly uninstall iTunes and reinstall it?i did it by going to add remove programs and then reinstalled by downloading from iTunes website like normal and when the program first run it looked as if it had never really been removed!all my songs were already there in my library when i was expecting to have to search my computer to then add to the library:S?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yes, those processes should be running in normal mode. Safe Mode is a stripped-down version of your windows installation for troubleshooting/repair purposes. And you did uninstall iTunes properly. Your music was still there because iTunes leaves behind a text file that is the record of all of the locations of your music. That should not have an effect on your blue screens.

the fact that it doesn't bluescreen in safe mode is encouraging. It means there may be some other program or process conflicting with the iTunes software.

If you are feeling brave, you can try the following. This trick should be easily reversible, but weird stuff can always happen. If you need your computer for school purposes, and have not tried something like this before, i would be hesitant, and would recommend taking it to a professional that can look at your computer in-person.

But if you want to try anyway... please keep in mind that if something goes horribly wrong, it's unlikely i or anyone else will be able to help you through the internet.

1) Boot into safe mode
2) go to start->run and type in "msconfig" (no quotes). hit enter.
3) click the "services" tab, check the box that says "hide all microsoft services", and then click the button that says "disable all"
4) click the "startup" items tab, and then the "disable all" button.
5) boot into normal mode again and see what happens.

you may notice that some software may not work as it normally does. That is because some programs (like iTunes for some specific functions) rely on extra programs that are supposed to start with windows. The main iTunes program should run just fine, though. Plug in your ipod again and see what happens.

To undo all of the disabling, run "msconfig", "enable all" on both tabs, and restart your computer.

some_knob

Apr 7, 2009
woah that sounds like some technical genius if it works!i'm in my final year and final term of university so need my computer for work purposes yeah but once my deadlines are over i will certainly give it a try, (in about a month's time).i have an external hard drive i can back up the c:drive with incase something did go drastically wrong.i'l let you know how it goes anyways and thanks again :cool:

AlainBo

Mar 28, 2010
That's clear the problem comes on some PCs when photos are stored in the iPodTouch/iPhone. I had the same problem and removing photos fixed it. But, on the concerned computer there is also a logitech webcam and just before crashing, usb icon in the taskbar locked on "Digital Camera device". I suppose stored photos cause ipod to reply a bit differently to the usb devices scanning and maybe Logitech seems to recognize it as a known device, begins to mount it and crashes. For me, updating logitech driver didn't help but it could depend on the webcam model.