iPod Touch Tips

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
First of all let me state that these are the best of the tips I have learned from other forums (ipodtouchfans.com and apple-touch.com) or from the iPod Touch features guide on Apple’s website so I don’t believe they are propriety information. I think they are some valuable tips that either Noobs or experienced users can use. I would be happy to edit my post from time to time with tips that you all suggest.

Chris – thanks for making a sticky!

1. If you double click the home button in any application, or with the screen off will bring up the music controls. This will not work if completely powered off.

2. When inputting a great deal of text in Safari turn it to horizontal view. The keyboard will be bigger and you can get a better grip of the Touch while typing with two thumbs.

3. If you have made a spelling mistake, press and hold the word you spelled wrong and a magnifying glass will appear. Slide your finger back and forth to move the cursor bubble. This also works when manually keying in addresses in safari.

4. When scrolling through a long page in Safari - tap the bar at the top of your screen containing the address bar, time, and battery, Safari will automatically return to the top of the page and the show address bar.

5. Power saving tip:Turn off WiFi in the settings menu to save battery power when not in use.

6. Holding down letters on the keyboard will pop up the accents/symbols associated with those letters. Once it pops up, slide your finger over to the accent/symbol you like.

7. In Safari double tap to zoom in. You can also "pinch" (putting your thumb and index finger on the screen and pinching in and out) to zoom in Safari and in Pictures.

8. You can charge your iPod Touch from any powered USB port. Such as a computer, printer, media center. The device does not have to have iTunes installed to provide power to your iPod Touch. Also per Apple’s website the old Chargers that use a fire wire input will charge your iPod but I am not sure if they will sync it.

9. When watching a movies/video, tap to bring up the onscreen controls. When you are done watching a video make sure you press done so your progress will be saved. Also Blue dots on the movie list screen mean at movies has not been played.

10. When typing if you want to add something from the numbers keyboard just hold down the numbers and slide your finger to the number or symbol you want, and release. It will take you back to your letters keyboard. This way you won’t have to tap numbers, tap your number, then tap numbers again to go back. This also applies for using the 'shift' key to apply capital letters.

11. In Safari, if you are presented with a link hold your finger over that link, and a bubble will appear showing the URL that the link is tied to.

12. A good web based instant messanger is www.meebo.com for AIM, yahoo, MSN, and google talk users.

13. To organize Videos or Movies:
Open iTunes, on movie file right click, "Get Info".
Go to video tab, change video kind to "TV Show" and add show name (category to organize by).
Files with same show name will be grouped into one folder

14.(2.X.X+ firmware only) To save an image in Safari web browser, press and hold your finger on the image then hit save image. It will then appear in your photo application.

15. (2.X.X+ firmware only) To take a screen shot of your iPhone/touch, press and hold the home button then press and release the on/off/sleep/wake button. The screen will flash and the image will appear in your photo application.

julianu

Sep 15, 2008
thanks so much for all yr 'tips' they will certainly be used from this end, My initial main problem is way back to the bigging, being my first ever music/.ipod---I have been in the land of the sleepdeprived ever since purchasing iPod touch ver,2, I had so much trouble with iTunes only to find out it was from their end, now at least my device shows and has loaded EVERY photo from my laptop on it, (can I delete them at later date) NOW to the cruz of prob, what is wifi? does that mean no cables? Im on adsl, so does that mean I cant get utunes, which means all I got for $300 is photos, why do they (Apple) make it sound so simple?Abet this is my first ever music player and forum user, I cant download manual as adobe isn't working also its trying to download 2.1 pack but when finishes says file somewhere else so cancel, 2 days down and counting!

Dec 17, 2008
i touch 1st generation

Are there any i touch ipod 1st generation available out there and if so where and what can i expect to pay? What is the difference between 1st and 2nd Generation i touch ipods?

First of all let me state that these are the best of the tips I have learned from other forums (ipodtouchfans.com and apple-touch.com) or from the iPod Touch features guide on Apple’s website so I don’t believe they are propriety information. I think they are some valuable tips that either Noobs or experienced users can use. I would be happy to edit my post from time to time with tips that you all suggest.

Chris – thanks for making a sticky!

1. If you double click the home button in any application, or with the screen off will bring up the music controls. This will not work if completely powered off.

2. When inputting a great deal of text in Safari turn it to horizontal view. The keyboard will be bigger and you can get a better grip of the Touch while typing with two thumbs.

3. If you have made a spelling mistake, press and hold the word you spelled wrong and a magnifying glass will appear. Slide your finger back and forth to move the cursor bubble. This also works when manually keying in addresses in safari.

4. When scrolling through a long page in Safari - tap the bar at the top of your screen containing the address bar, time, and battery, Safari will automatically return to the top of the page and the show address bar.

5. Power saving tip:Turn off WiFi in the settings menu to save battery power when not in use.

6. Holding down letters on the keyboard will pop up the accents/symbols associated with those letters. Once it pops up, slide your finger over to the accent/symbol you like.

7. In Safari double tap to zoom in. You can also "pinch" (putting your thumb and index finger on the screen and pinching in and out) to zoom in Safari and in Pictures.

8. You can charge your iPod Touch from any powered USB port. Such as a computer, printer, media center. The device does not have to have iTunes installed to provide power to your iPod Touch. Also per Apple’s website the old Chargers that use a fire wire input will charge your iPod but I am not sure if they will sync it.

9. When watching a movies/video, tap to bring up the onscreen controls. When you are done watching a video make sure you press done so your progress will be saved. Also Blue dots on the movie list screen mean at movies has not been played.

10. When typing if you want to add something from the numbers keyboard just hold down the numbers and slide your finger to the number or symbol you want, and release. It will take you back to your letters keyboard. This way you won’t have to tap numbers, tap your number, then tap numbers again to go back. This also applies for using the 'shift' key to apply capital letters.

11. In Safari, if you are presented with a link hold your finger over that link, and a bubble will appear showing the URL that the link is tied to.

12. A good web based instant messanger is www.meebo.com for AIM, yahoo, MSN, and google talk users.

13. To organize Videos or Movies:
Open iTunes, on movie file right click, "Get Info".
Go to video tab, change video kind to "TV Show" and add show name (category to organize by).
Files with same show name will be grouped into one folder

14.(2.0 firmware only) To save an image in Safari web browser, press and hold your finger on the image then hit save image. It will then appear in your photo application.

15. (2.0 firmware only) To take a screen shot of your iPhone/touch, press and hold the home button then press and release the on/off/sleep/wake button. The screen will flash and the image will appear in your photo application.

Dec 17, 2008
Are there any i touch ipod 1st generation available out there and if so where and what can i expect to pay? What is the difference between 1st and 2nd Generation i touch ipods?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You should start a new thread, you're more likely to get good answers. Many stores will still have them for sale, anywhere from $30-60 less than the second-generation depending on how long they've been holding onto it.

Second gen is tapered, so it fits better. Has a faster processor, integrated speaker, and volume control buttons, and a Nike+ receiver.

Bayako

Dec 27, 2008
Sounds silly but I am so lost with buying games from itune store.
From Canada.. filling out the forms but the country listed is USA.
I filled in all but all of a sudden everything gone? Where did I go
wrong? Could it be the country is not right. I know but I cannot change it.
Can anyone help please!

themrsof2

Dec 31, 2008
iPod Touch

I am having a horrible time trying to install my iPod. I have download iTunes but when I try to put it on the iPod touch I get an error message 0xE 8000001 it also says "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch because an unknon error occurred 0xE 8000001. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?:(

kquong

Jan 17, 2009
Windows live calendar syncing iPod touch

I'm running VISTA. I can't sync windows live calendar to my iPod touch. I will not sign up for MobileMe. There has to be a way help

kquong