iPod USB Charger on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Has anyone else tried using their iPod USB charger on their iPhone? When I use mine, it takes hours to charge my iPhone literally another 10%, that is it.

Seems like the iPhone and iPod require different amounts of charges, and you cannot swap chargers between the two units.

I won't be using my iPod charger anymore, in case it messes up the battery in my iPhone.

Hang on, if I mess my battery up, I can just buy another one from the Apple store and replace it right? Dang, I need to stop smelling gas fumes.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
The iPhone charger is 5 volts.
Older iPod chargers (firewire) outputs 12 volts.
If in doubt, I would only use the charger that came with it or
Use your computer to charge it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The iPod charger I have is also 5.0v-400mA. I am also using the iPod USB cable, but this shouldn't make any difference.

I am going to plug the iPhone directly into my PC and charge via that.

I've ordered an original Apple charger (like the one you get with the iPhone) from eBay for $1.99 ($1 million in the Apple store). So that should make life easier for me.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
They all work the same way, but the WAY the iPhone charges is because of the lithium-ion battery. It will rapidly charge to about 90% in 2 hours then take that last 10% and trickle charge it to 100% so as, over time, not to damage the battery.

It does not matter if you use the iPod charger or the iPhone charger 5 volts is 5 volts.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
This is what I mean. It takes 5 hours to charge just 10% (using the iPod USB charger). Not to 90% and then the 10% trickle. When I plug the iPhone into my PC, it fully charges in about 3 hours.

Weird?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
This is what I mean. It takes 5 hours to charge just 10% (using the iPod USB charger). Not to 90% and then the 10% trickle. When I plug the iPhone into my PC, it fully charges in about 3 hours.

Weird?
yah its very weird, i used my old ipod charger for a while (not an Apple one though) and it charged just as fast as the iPhone charger