iPwn - Custom Modded Firmware through iTunes

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Stolen from MMi. Just spreading the love.

Now here's one we've been waiting for. You remember seeing the AMAZING Videos.

The long and short of it? After "pwn"-ing your iPhone using this method drummed up by the Dev Team, you can install custom .ipsw files directly through iTunes. Huh, say you? It means, open iTunes, Option/Shift Click Restore, choose your modded firmware file, and voila - jailbreak/unlock/Installer/Cydia when its done restoring! No extra steps!

They will release two tools when this is public - iPwn to Pwn your iPhone, and .IPSW Builder to "modify the .ipsw filesystem, i.e. pre-jailbreak, pre-unlock, pre-activate, and create a complete custom .ipsw installation. In case you are already unlocked you can even tell it to disable the baseband update, just in case. Restore or Update from iTunes with custom .ipsw file and Voila! no more hassles after that."

And they've even given a TON of info on how they did it.

Not bad, guys. Not bad.

Dev Team via Digg

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'm confused to what this lets you chance...customizing the firmware will give you access to what kind of modifications?

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
I'm confused to what this lets you chance...customizing the firmware will give you access to what kind of modifications?
It can be a custom firmware - meaning that you could possibly run things that aren't meant to be ran on the iPhone...like Windows Mobile.

But ho the hell wants to say that?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
supposedly, after you complete a "pwn" of the iPhone, it will let you use an unsigned firmware on it - meaning, that someone could customize a firmware, making it preunlocked, jailbroken and activated, straight from iTunes. no action necessary from the user except shift click, and choose the "pwned" firmware.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
yeah thats pretty cool dark, makes jailbreaking a lot easier for the future.