Is $399 the right price for the retina iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by chris, Oct 22, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I always thought that Apple's iPad mini pricing of $329 was high, but the price allowed them to transition to a retina display without any price change. I wonder if that strategy was in play until Apple saw the success of the iPad 2. That device is still going strong and even had a mention during today's event. The iPad mini (first generation) becomes the 7.9-inch version of the 2. It also allows them to keep nice margins on the first gen and boost the price of the iPad mini 2 with retina.

The line shapes out nicely, for Apple.

$299 iPad mini
    $399 iPad mini w/ retina or iPad 2
    $499 iPad Air

Thoughts?

2. Prelector

Prelector Member
    Bronze

Personally I think it's a huge mistake. Compare to the Nexus 7, one of the closest competitors in specs and sales, at $230 for the 16gb model. Now, the resolution is a bit lower on the nexus 7, but not by a huge margin. So that puts the iPad mini retina at almost 2x the price of the nexus 7. And when you go up in storage size, or add in LTE, the difference is even larger.

If they had added the touch id, or greatly increased the specs that would be one thing, but from what I'm hearing, the increase to A7 will basically cover the resolution increase, so overall performance won't see a huge increase... I just don't see the cost justification there.

Since the iPhone, I've bought every single upgrade that Apple has done in both the iPhone and ipad lines, including the ipad 4 and ipad mini last year; this year I won't be buying either.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

the original mini was essentially a repackaged iPad 2. Given that the new mini has a retina display and a proc 2 years newer, i think the $80 price increase is more than justified.

4. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I wasn't even going to consider the Air but I will definitely look at it and comments from early adopters. I was going right after the new mini. The $100 difference between it and the air make me want to check the air out. I cannot imagine going back to that size foot print after using my original mini but I love my iPad 3 and keep it on my reading stand. It will be fun.

5. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I was expecting an entry price tag of around $349. I wasn't thinking the new Mini 2 would have an A7 processor though. With the Retina display, an A7 processor with 64-bit architecture, and a motion processor, I see the $399 entry price reasonable. Also, a smaller screen with retina display will look even sharper.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree, but is the 64bit really an advantage? Aren't we years away until developers actually take advantage of the architecture? Just wondering.

7. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

the stock Apple apps will be 64-bit from the beginning.

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Good point. I had forgotten about those apps.

10. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Don't like the price hike (who would right ?)
    Maybe we have gotten spoiled, whenever they came out with a new iPhone or ipad, the prices always stayed the same (I think), even with upgraded screens, processors etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

#10 Jerome G, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

True, but it's more than a 1-generation hardware upgrade. the regular mini has an A5, whereas the rMini has an A7 (skipping the A6), retina display, and probably more RAM too. I think it'll make for a much better overall experience for not really that much more money.

12. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Different strokes for different folks. Apple won't appeal to everyone. I'm glad there are other choices for those people.

#12 JWiPhone, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  13. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Unfortunately for me I could not justify the original Mini's price over the Nexus 7. I mainly use my tablet for books and videos on my commute. I love my iPhone but $499 for a 32gb mini was just two much. For that price I bought two 32gb Nexus 7's ($269 each) and gave one to my dad.....

~S

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Ah, see there's your problem. Just buy one next time.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

^ Or just get a 16 GB mini. I got a 32 GB iPad 3 but then realized I didn't even use half of that space since I don't need any music on it since I always have my phone on me. So when I got an iPad mini I just got a 16 GB. It's a great way to save $100 and make the iPad more reasonably priced so you don't have to go with an Android tablet. A 16 GB mini 1 was only $329 at launch.

16. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Since I use the tablet for video I really want to stay at 32gb.
    ~S

17. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

True..... But Dad was very happy ... :cool:

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, but how many do you need on it at any given time? I just remove stuff every so often and sync new stuff.

19. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I understand what you are saying. But from my view I didn't want to sacrifice space just to get the Mini. All of my books are in the Kindle app, so there is no ecosystem confinement.

While we are examining price on this thread and considering the merits of the $399 price point, there is one key are that I think needs to be looked at, which is the increase in price for the memory buckets. Apple is still charging $100 more for the increase in memory. Compared with Google who only charged $40.00 to go from 16gb to 32gb.

This is the main reason I am not getting the mini. If one feels that the $399 price point is a bit high, then paying 100 more for each increase in memory magnifies that feeling. The same argument can be made for all of Apples media devices. In my case I could afford my 32gb iPhone 5s and a Nexus 7 but not the iPhone and the Mini.....

~S

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator