Is 3G better in phone signal reception than 2G?

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Hi, all.
I wanted to ask to iPhone users who upgraded from 2G to 3G.

I am with AT&T and have 2G iPhone.
I don't know if the phone is getting old or ATT is having a problem with their tower, but I am noticebly getting more dropped calls as the day go by. :mad:

so I am thinking, is 3G better in phone signal reception compared to 2G? Does 3G have anything to do with phone signal? Is it the same, just faster browsing speed? I don't know. I don't want to change to 3G and find out that there is no difference because I don't need faster browsing speed.

Thanks in advance.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It really depends on your area. I have noticed about the same signal strength on my 3G as on my v1. However some users have reported far better signal and sometimes far worse of a signal. I would check the coverage map for 3G in your area and decide from there.

miloko

Oct 14, 2008
I'm in Anaheim right by disneyland and the reception on my 3G iPhone is poor. Calling Apple they state it may be due to the 3G network not being up to par in the area. To answer your question the 3G also represents the spectrum the calls are made, I drop most every call if I stay on for more than a minute and there is lots of static on the calls that I can connect with. When calling ATT&T to complian about the issue their response is that I am not in a strong 3G network, and so if I choose to opt out of my contract early they would waive the early termination fee if I left because of poor phone quality. I keep hoping it gets better but who knows. Has anyone tried that Cell ranger product that is supposed to enhance the cell phone signal. I thought it was funny that ATT&T advertises more bars in more places, but I rarely get more than a bar, but my past experiences with Sprint and Verizon were so excellent this is really frustrating. Cell service is not a nnew technology it should be much better.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
IMHO I believe the radio on the 3G is much better. That was the number one hangup I had with the first iPhone, I would get a lot of "No Service" or in/out service. With the 3G, I'd manually force it to edge, and get much better coverage. Remember, just because you have the 3G iPhone doesn't mean you have to run it strictly on the 3G network. Until they released the latest firmware update that address some 3G power consumption issues, I ran in Edge mode 90% of the time. Only when I knew I'd be in a strong 3G area would I switch over.

My point is, even running the 3G iPhone in an Edge only mode I believe (again, just my opinion) that it beats the pants off the original iPhone.

One option is to add a 3G iPhone line to your account and try it for a couple of weeks to see if it works any better for you.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
when i first bought the 3G (launch day) i had bad reception but rarely dropped calls. After the first update reception improved but dropped calls started. Now the reception is even better and dropped calls have slim down a lot. Im in Central Cali and sitting in the house right now i have full 3G strenght. Before i was lucky to have 2 bars.

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
For me, the 3G is much much better reception-wise..I live in northern va...I have better reception in my house even though it is only edge and in general I hang on to calls better with clearer reception. Having 3G has definitely helped, but I think the reception in general is better.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I have 5 bars of 3g, and Edge, 24/7.
I used to have 2-3 bars of 3g pre 2.1, but still a constant 5 bars for Edge.
I would say in my opinion the reception is better.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have 5 bars of 3g, and Edge, 24/7.
I used to have 2-3 bars of 3g pre 2.1, but still a constant 5 bars for Edge.
I would say in my opinion the reception is better.
As Philip said, the area you are in has a lot to do with reception. But I too have 5 bars on 3G very consistently. My edge will vary from 3-5 bars. What impressed me the most about 3G is that in some stores I might get 0-1 bar of edge and a phone call was pretty much impossible. But now I can switch to 3G and get 5 bars and good phone reception.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Oh, I forgot to mention that location matters, but isn't that really a given?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Too true. Like that one guy who sued over the 3g ads.
But yes, for the OP, if you're not looking for faster speeds, 3g isn't really for you. It's just too much of a drain on battery life/increase in monthly prices for it to matter, really.