Is 3G Worth The Upgrade? Question to V1 Owners

tvaldivi

Jun 11, 2008
I am on the fence on getting the 3g iPhone. I absolutely love my first gen phone and I use it more than anyone else I know who has it. I am on it constantly all day, mostly for web browsing. Throughout the day I am 75% of the time in a wifi area, and then other times I use the Edge network. I am worried about the battery life on the 3g since there are times where my batter gets drained towards the end of the day on my first gen. So my questions are:

1. Is it worth the extra $15 a month that I will be paying? How much do you like it more than the first gen.
2. How likely is it that a turn by turn program comes out that will allow to use as a navigation system like a magellan, or tom tom. I know telenav said they were coming out soon, but do you think having that will be comparable to having a portable gps?

I am really on the fence on this one and don't know if I should go for it or not. I usually am a phone-a-holic. This iPhone is the first time that I have had a phone for over a year, usually its 2-3 months tops.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I am on the fence on getting the 3g iPhone. I absolutely love my first gen phone and I use it more than anyone else I know who has it. I am on it constantly all day, mostly for web browsing. Throughout the day I am 75% of the time in a wifi area, and then other times I use the Edge network. I am worried about the battery life on the 3g since there are times where my batter gets drained towards the end of the day on my first gen. So my questions are:

1. Is it worth the extra $15 a month that I will be paying? How much do you like it more than the first gen.
2. How likely is it that a turn by turn program comes out that will allow to use as a navigation system like a magellan, or tom tom. I know telenav said they were coming out soon, but do you think having that will be comparable to having a portable gps?

I am really on the fence on this one and don't know if I should go for it or not. I usually am a phone-a-holic. This iPhone is the first time that I have had a phone for over a year, usually its 2-3 months tops.
3g a battery killer, screen isn't as good, battery life sucks, and quality of youtube videos on 3g are the same as edge.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i have only experiment with a day and heres what i have to say

hardware is very nice compared to v1
plastic black, very sleek and feels so much nicer, like a phone should be, i was never wild about the metal back and the bulkiness to when you put it to the ear(look at me complaing about the bulkiness when the phone is the slickest ever)

the screen seems to be a little cheaper in quality, however the yellow tint doesn't bother me because it works 100X better outside in the sunlight compared to v1

the sound quality is much nicer, its a little louder but 100x clearer, i had dropped calls, and sound from ipod on some music was horrid.

3g speeds..... are fucking sweet. i live in an area that has dead spots and i could never make a decent call from my omputer and now with 3g even with 2 bars its amazingly clear, crystal clear like a land locked phone. seriuosly this is worth it alone, i may not get 3g every where for data, but 3g for talking is better.

as for the battery usuage well i haven't really gotten use of it considering i had a very bad day yesterday with activation and no service until like 7, but i used it all up to this morning and it seems to be a lot better battery than my v1, now that is probably because my v1 battery was getting old, but hey with 3g how batterys are going to consume a lot faster but im very ok with this and for the people that arent then switch it off.

even though i have had some issues im pretty happy with it but weather its worth the extra $40 bucks a month, only time will tell

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia

If the money is not an issue, I would go ahead and buy it. It feels and looks a lot nicer than my v1 iPhone. I don't see much of a difference regarding the screen quality.
1. I would pay the extra cash each month if you browse the web a lot. The 3G is waaay better than Edge.
2. Yes, I'm pretty sure that an app is coming out for that that will be comparable to a Tom Tom or Magellan portable GPS.

I'm happy with my iPhone 3G, I was also on the fence, but I went ahead and bought it.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If the money is not an issue, I would go ahead and buy it. It feels and looks a lot nicer than my v1 iPhone. I don't see much of a difference regarding the screen quality.
1. I would pay the extra cash each month if you browse the web a lot. The 3G is waaay better than Edge.
2. Yes, I'm pretty sure that an app is coming out for that that will be comparable to a Tom Tom or Magellan portable GPS.

I'm happy with my iPhone 3G, I was also on the fence, but I went ahead and bought it.
How's youtube over 3g? Compared to EDGE.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
the screen seems to be a little cheaper in quality, however the yellow tint doesn't bother me because it works 100X better outside in the sunlight compared to v1
Did you restore the firmware ever since you got iPhone 3G? people are reporting that the default software it comes is the reason for the yellow tint.
Well on my new iPhone 3G the quality of the screen is just AWESOME(same in indoors and better in outdoors under sun)... I had the v1 too.. so i know what i am talking here..

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
it's worth the boost in speed w/o wifi nearby. But be ready to charge battery a lot more often.

tvaldivi

Jun 11, 2008
Another question I have is if you are browsing the Internet over 3g and you get a phone call will it interrupt your browsing and give you the phone call? I know over edge quite often you never get the call and never know that the person even called you if they don't leave a voicemail.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Another question I have is if you are browsing the Internet over 3g and you get a phone call will it interrupt your browsing and give you the phone call? I know over edge quite often you never get the call and never know that the person even called you if they don't leave a voicemail.

thats a good thing, you can talk on the phone and browse 3g at the same time. Just like wi-fi.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Did you restore the firmware ever since you got iPhone 3G? people are reporting that the default software it comes is the reason for the yellow tint.
Well on my new iPhone 3G the quality of the screen is just AWESOME(same in indoors and better in outdoors under sun)... I had the v1 too.. so i know what i am talking here..
yeah i restored it and i don't see much yellow

Arcano

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
To be really honest I don't see a single reason to 'upgrade'. Too much hype IMO.

netsyd

Sep 9, 2007
Colorado
www.steili.com
To be really honest I don't see a single reason to 'upgrade'. Too much hype IMO.
Opinions are good to have... and depending on your needs - you may not see a reason to upgrade. For me - having 3G (I spend too much time on the web away from WiFi) was a big improvement and being that I can't tell which way is north without someone telling me - GPS was a HUGE factor. Yes the prior version "location awareness" was ok - but real GPS is turning out to be a lot better in terms of halfway to where you're going and checking a map. (Useless if you are starting at home)

tran_man

Sep 28, 2007
I just found an excuse to upgrade to a 3G today (I have had this problem in the past but this incident pushed me over the edge):

Driving eastbound on Hwy 92 towards Hwy 101, there was an alert on an overhead freeway sign. It warned drivers that there was an accident on SB-101 blocking three lanes near Ellis St. That was the exact route I needed to take so my GF and I started to look up the incident on our iPhone's (both in Google maps and the CHP Incident page). The slow Edge connection made the research unbearably slow while looking in Google maps for where the heavy traffic started to plan for an alternate route. Same slow speed when trying to find out what was happening from the CHP site to add to our route planning from Google.

It was a good thing that Ellis street was quite a few miles away and we didn't hit it until we were done searching, but there have been many instances that the warning of heavy traffic was given too late and the research wasn't quite finished before we hit the traffic.

I know that the 3G speeds would have made this search MUCH quicker and more efficient, giving us more time to plan another route.

There have been other reasons to upgrade but the above was the last straw. Hope this helps.

tvaldivi

Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone... I'm leaning towards going to the Apple Store tomorrow and getting one... Do any others have any input on if I should upgrade from V1 to 3G?