Is 4.0 beta buggy, you betcha!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone running 4.0 yet but I just had my phone (3G model) refuse to turn off, then when I forced it off by holding the sleep and home buttons for 10 seconds, it refused to let me do anything unless I restored it.

I started noticing it being very slow doing normal things like coming out of lock or launching an app. When the battery got down to 20%, I plugged it in but did not get an indication that it was charging so I tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. I tried holding the sleep button to get the power-off slider to show up but it didn't so I then tried holding the sleep and home buttons until the screen blinked off. Normally, when I hit the sleep button again, the phone will reboot. This time, it got to the Recovery screen, where it was asking me to connect it to iTunes, which I did. iTunes said the phone was in recovery so I restored it. Now things seem ok.

Just thought I'd let you know, in case it happens to someone else.

Anybody else found buggy behavior with 4.0 yet?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, I think I'm gonna hold off until the official release. I can do without a springboard wallpaper and folders for a couple months.

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
The only issue i have had with 4.0 is that it doesn't get my gmail sometimes. other than that, no issues. ;)

I am disappointed that you have to go in to the multitasker to close every program you have had open. it should give you the option to either minimize or close.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
4.0 is great here, better than any 3.0 beta release and faster than my 3.1.3. It's too bad yours had such a devastating problem, it should definitely be reported though if you can or your dev can.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
4.0 is great here, better than any 3.0 beta release and faster than my 3.1.3. It's too bad yours had such a devastating problem, it should definitely be reported though if you can or your dev can.
I'm a dev so I can report it but I want to see if it happens again. Reporting this kind of problem is better if it's reproducible. There are so many factors that can contribute to it and I'm sure the devs at Apple want some solid details.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I'm running 4.0 on a 3GS and the most annoying bug for me is the photo rotation doesn't work properly.

bothibodeaux

Jun 8, 2009
It happened to me yesterday, Also some of my apps are crashing. And also the little tab in the photos is not working I can't send email, or mms photos in my library , I have also noticed that there is a delay coming out of the lock screen

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Experienced a pretty rough crash this morning. I was installing the Skype app from the iPhone and about 5 seconds after the install started, the phone froze completely. 30 seconds after that, the phone restarted itself. After the reboot, it had forgotten my Wifi password, voicemail password, and exchange account password. No matter how many times I re-entered them, whether it be from the popup dialog or through settings, i got a password incorrect popup. Now everything else is slow opening, unlocking, etc. So I had to do a full restore and start from scratch. All is back to normal now. O_o

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
can you guys sync if you have folders? i've heard iTunes will take them out of folders b/c it's not supported, thus i haven't tried it.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
iTunes just seems to ignore folders, doesn't break folder placement when you sync but I noticed the apps tab lays things out as if you had none. So I didn't touch that tab for fear it'd put my 9 pages back

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
iTunes just seems to ignore folders, doesn't break folder placement when you sync but I noticed the apps tab lays things out as if you had none. So I didn't touch that tab for fear it'd put my 9 pages back
So after a crash this morning, I restored to 4.0. I synced everything including apps. then I just made one folder on the third page with everything from tweetie down. I synced with iTunes, didn't touch the apps page at all and this is what it looked like after sync:

So yeah iTunes doesn't work with folders at all for me and now I have two x's i need to get rid of.

EDIT: the x's went away after i made the icons wiggle and pressed home.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
At first I thought iTunes removed the folders period, but after I realized it was when I added an app using iTunes that it put every app I had checked off into alphabetical order. Syncing is safe just don't touch the apps tab.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I've been having very strange issues with my phone since installing 4.0 so I'm going back to jailbroken 3.1.2 for now until the next beta release. There are too many bugs in this beta for me to use it all the time. My phone wouldn't dial out today and would not change the time to the correct timezone I am in. I'll give the next beta a try.

BTW, downgrading from 4.0 to 3.1.2 is "fun." :)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Mine is still running slow but at least everything is working. Opening the camera, for instance, took almost 15 seconds but I’m going to let the battery run down to 20% and see if I get the same problem as yesterday.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Running 4.0 on 3G and having no issues at all! Texting, email, camera, games. Everything is working like 3.1.3 - All I can say is 4.0 is blazing fast! Apps open so fast now!