Is a Bluetooth headset a necessity?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is a bluetooth headset a necessity?

• Total voters

eswank

Sep 2, 2007
I just had a question for your current iPhone users out there. Is having a bluetooth headset really a necessity with the iPhone? I currently own a Sony Ericsson phone & headset and I don't find myself using the headset as much as I thought I would. I've read mixed reviews for the Apple Bluetooth Headset and the Aliph Jawbone.

So yeah, basically... is having a bluetooth headset really a necessity with the iPhone?

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Is it a necessity for any other phone?

The iPhone functions just fine without one, as does any other phone.

I prefer to use a headset when I am driving, but I refuse to be one of those dorks walking around in public with one implanted on their head.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
Is it a necessity for any other phone?

The iPhone functions just fine without one, as does any other phone.

I prefer to use a headset when I am driving, but I refuse to be one of those dorks walking around in public with one implanted on their head.
yup, its like why are they talking to themselves...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i definitely don't see it as a necessity, not even as a luxury to be completely honest. i would much rather use the standard iPhone headphones and look like an idiot that way, although i hold the mouthpiece in front of my face so that people actually know i am talking on the phone..

this is what i see as the Pros & Cons of owning/using a bluetooth headset

Pros
-you can use your hands! (unless you have to dial, switch calls, or turn up the volume...)
-you look like a cryborg!(i'm not sure that's a pro..)
-some of them actually look pretty cool, or have a neat design(still not for me, i have long hair)

Cons
-depending on the design, it could easily fall off(and even break)
-some are too small! it could either get lost in the car, or fall off and you wouldn't even know!
-you look very stupid talking to yourself, especially if the headset isn't visible
-it has been reported that one can catch lice from them!
-some have terrible staticky reception, sometimes making it unbearable
-and lastly, they're quite costly(from what i've seen, and also based on my budget)

**Disclaimer**
if you own a headset i'm sorry if i offended you by making fun of you, and or your device. i really mean no harm and i am in NO way in control of my actions/words

:p

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
For as many things as the iPhone can do, I like having it away from my head so I can view the screen even when I'm on the phone. Plus, I spend a good deal of time on the phone while working at a computer, so having my hands free is crucial.

It seems like knocking Bluetooth headsets is the cool thing to do, but or me, they're a necessity.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Some people like them, some don't. Im one of those that do. Like someone stated before, great for hands free and awesome if you do anything technical.
Also it's a lot more cost effective than a Car bluetooth kit, you can use it in or out of your car. Not to mention some Citys ( not sure about states yet ) will give you a ticket if you are driving and talking on a cell at the same time ( not using a handsfree device such as a car kit or bluetooth headset ). I know this is a fact on military installations now.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
i definitely don't see it as a necessity, not even as a luxury to be completely honest. i would much rather use the standard iPhone headphones and look like an idiot that way, although i hold the mouthpiece in front of my face so that people actually know i am talking on the phone..

this is what i see as the Pros & Cons of owning/using a bluetooth headset

Pros
-you can use your hands! (unless you have to dial, switch calls, or turn up the volume...)
-you look like a cryborg!(i'm not sure that's a pro..)
-some of them actually look pretty cool, or have a neat design(still not for me, i have long hair)

Cons
-depending on the design, it could easily fall off(and even break)
-some are too small! it could either get lost in the car, or fall off and you wouldn't even know!
-you look very stupid talking to yourself, especially if the headset isn't visible
-it has been reported that one can catch lice from them!
-some have terrible staticky reception, sometimes making it unbearable
-and lastly, they're quite costly(from what i've seen, and also based on my budget)

**Disclaimer**
if you own a headset i'm sorry if i offended you by making fun of you, and or your device. i really mean no harm and i am in NO way in control of my actions/words

:p
Add-Pros:

You don't rip out your hair with the face bezel thingy on the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I only use my bluetooth device when I'm driving. It's much better than holding the phone to my ear and much safer as well. I really think wearing the bluetooth device in the grocery store is geeky, but wearing it behind the wheel is pretty smart.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I only use my bluetooth device when I'm driving. It's much better than holding the phone to my ear and much safer as well. I really think wearing the bluetooth device in the grocery store is geeky, but wearing it behind the wheel is pretty smart.
I have to agree that a wireless device is MUCH better while driving but for everyday walking around it's definitely a bit on the geek side. We used to get permanently installed phone cradles in our vehicles but that was back when we all had Nokias, they don't make them for many phones these days sadly.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
Yes I do use a bluetooth device while im driving. I also find it necessary while playing WoW or a little guitar hero, I hate stopping what I'm doing to hold my phone. I do prefer when not in those situations to not use it. I paid a lot of money for my phone, makes me feel like a better use of my invesment when holding it...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
*craps his pants in laughter*
what a DOUCHE

anyway, i didn't say it wasn't convenient, i was just listing some obvious pro's and cons

and as to indy's post about the hair: that's why i use the headphones, duh :p
No no, my friend...the definition of "douche"

:p What a douche!

el padrino

Sep 28, 2007
If you look closer, you'll realize it says "even gayer pink shirt" aroung his collar. :laugh2:

Anyways, i haven't tried with the iPhone but i have the Nokia BH 800 which came with a collar/necklace so u can hang it on there when you're not using it. That was cool plus the headset itself is tiny.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is a matter of preference. Having been a PPC/POS user for many years, I adapted to Bluetooth right away. I liked being able to work and consult at the same time. Now I set the iPhone in the cradle, play music at my desk and can answer the phone without having to pull it out of the cradle or have wires hanging around. Is it dorky? Why, yes. I don't wear it all the time. I leave it in my pocket until the phone rings and then put it on. Works great. My only complaint is my Motorola stereo headphones just sit in the drawer. Can't wait until Apple catches up with that feature.

:cool:

Mar 7, 2009
I used to use the bluetooth only while driving only just for hands free driving. Other than that, I don't much like them; I feel like I'm wearing a Borg implant blinking in my ear, and its uncomfortable. When I got the iPhone, I never imagined that it would not support hands free phone use; seemed like such a basic essential feature. Since I got the iPhone, the Jawbone headset is basically useless to me now since I can no longer drive while taking and making phone calls legally.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hahaha! funny thread ressurection here. I missed this the first time. Probably because it was right when I first joined

I hate these things so much...