Is AirPlay included in Mac OS X Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by diverdown, Aug 9, 2011.

1. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Does anybody know if AirPlay was included on OS X Lion? I am looking to stream videos I take with my iPhone to my Mac. I can do it to Apple TV, but I had thought that airplay was built into Lion.

Any help is appreciated.

~S

2. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

Would be a great feature, I don't see it as a option in settings, just in iTunes itself however I think it is mean't to work the other way around by allowing the computer to serve the iDevices content.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

So far AirPlay works with iOS devices, Apple TV, speakers and music systems that support it. No Mac support yet.

4. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Thanks Guys. I could have sworn that I read that it would be a feature in Lion.

5. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I think they got pressure from the studios not to do this.

Keep in my mind you can currently get Hulu free on your computer or Hulu+ for your ipad. The difference is with hulu+ you get less content and pay more, why? They believe that your viewing experience is very different on your TV vs your computer vs mobile device.

6. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I'm not sure why the studios would block this..... I can stream my iTunes content from my Mac to my Apple TV, so I'm not sure where the difference would be. What I would like to do is stream videos/pictures I take with my iPhone directly to my Mac......

~S

7. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I use a program on my Windows computers called Shairport. I believe there is a Mac version out there. It only supports audio, though. I have another Windows utility that supports video called AirMedia player, but it was yanked and is hard to find now. I don't think there is a Mac version of that.

This post isn't very helpful, but I wanted to subscribe to hear options that others have found. :)

9. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

Patrick, I downloaded Air Server for my Mac and it does indeed let you stream audio and video from your iPhone to the MAC....Thanks for the suggestion. The only thing it will not do yet is mirroring.

One thing I noticed is that you need to open Quicktime on the Mac first, otherwise it may fail to play videos.

I believe the iPhone only needs to be jailbroken if you want to stream content from the Mac to the iPhone. But I'm using my Plex media server for that type of streaming.

Thanks again
    ~S

10. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Cool. And yeah, mirroring to the Mac is the Holy Grail for me right now. I have still not seen a good solution for it, though I have seen Erica Sadun and others t TUAW hacking away at it with add-on hardware and some funky stuff and still not sounding like a real, effective option.

11. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I am looking forward to trying out mirroring on my Apple TV with the iPhone 4S......
    ~S

12. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

i'm actually interested in it the other way around. There are countless times i find videos browsing the web on my MBA that i wish i could hit a button and watch on my tv.