Is an App Draining My Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by fanboy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

I jailbroke my 4S sometime ago & am enjoying it.

Recently I added Barrel through Cydia, and just before adding Barrel I updated my Apple apps (they had not been updated in a long time). Shortyl after that I noticed my battery died in less than six hours.

I uninstalled Barrel and set my e-mail from push to manualy fetch. My phone is still loosing about 10-15% per hour.

When I turned off my data the drainage stopped. This tells me an app is doing the dirty work. Is this correct, and if so how can I find out which specific app is killing my battery?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

We may be able to assist you if we know what applications you run the most and which ones stay running in the background. You can close running background apps by double tapping on the home button.

3. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

thanks. I only run a few, but I close them via doulbe press home button.

I run the most are text, mail, tapatalk, facebook. Since the issue surfaced I have closed them everytime I use them.

Recently I closed/cleared the apps out and did not open them all day. My battery is still draining. I have turned my mail to fetch only thinking that was the problem. No luck. Would you like me to post all the apps on my phone?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

How bad is your battery draining? It is normal to drain 10-15% throughout the day even without being used. Using text, mail and Facebook will cause the battery to drain much quicker.

If you would like to post your apps on your phone, you can. But I believe we should focus on the apps you mainly use on a daily basis. You believe it's an app. I just reread your first post that says you are losing 10-15% an hour. I'm sure you want to stay Jailbroken, but have you tried a full restore as a new phone? Before even thinking about this, have you tried a hard reset where you hold both the home and lock button until the phone shuts off and the Apple logo reappears?

5. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

My battery is draining 15-20% an hour. I'm not contstantly on my phone.

I just tried a hard reset, I did not even think to do that. We'll see what it does today, I'm headed in to work now. But now I have a bigger problem. I posted already in this forum. My contacts vanished from my phone but they are in iCloud. http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/contacts-disappear.69189/

#5 fanboy, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I responded to the contacts issue. Keep me informed about your battery issue.

#6 MoneyMaker79, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  7. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

So did the hard reset do anything for your battery drain issue?

8. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

No the hard reset did not work, the reset from settings seemed to have done the trick. I have no issues with battery drainage now.

Unfortunately I never found out why this was occurring because I had another problem appear and synced my phone instead of resetting and then syncing.

I'm sorry I did find out what the problem was to contribute, however, the reset fixed whatever the issue was.

9. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Which reset in the SETTINGS > GENERAL did you use?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Resetting all settings helps with various problems. I used to have to do that about every four weeks on my old iPhone 4 to keep Bluetooth working satisfactorily. Of course, a full restore would have had the same effect, but this was easier. It only takes me about five minutes to set my phone back up after resetting the settings. It's perfectly fine for jailbroken phones, too.

11. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

RESET ALL SETTINGS is ok for jailbroken phones? Why would they create the tweak RESETALLKILLER ?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can't Erase All Content and Settings on a jailbroken phone. That option gets automatically disabled as a safety feature when you install the newer jailbreaks since attempting to use it while jailbroken resulted in getting stuck at the boot logo.

You can, however, Reset All Settings on a jailbroken phone. That's always worked and still does. I've been doing it for years on my jailbroken phones.

Someone who doesn't fully understand this made the RESETALLKILLER tweak. They should have just had it disable Erase All Content and Settings and left Reset All Settings alone. It's a moot point if you're using evasi0n since it already disables what you shouldn't do.

#12 Europa, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Typo?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. Just fixed it.

15. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

So if I remove that tweak, what will RESET ALL SETTINGS do? Will I have to then go back and restore from backup and also use PKGBACKUP?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Retting All Settings isn't a restore and it doesn't remove any apps or data. It just resets your phone to stock settings. Third party app settings are retained (this includes Cydia apps), but it resets the phone to its default settings. You'll have to put your WiFi passwords in again, set your wallpaper, set your ringtones, and other things like that. It also removes Shrink's settings, for example, since they are part of the layout. You'll get the grey welcome screen when it's complete.

17. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I guess I'd also have to setup all my emails and passwords etc. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, email accounts and passwords don't get removed. It should take less than five minutes to get it set back up. In addition to wallpaper, ringtones and WiFi passwords, I just remembered that you also have to put your voicemail password back in and set up fetch times for email (since the default setting is push with manual checks). There are a couple other settings like that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

19. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind in case I have any weird issues I can't figure out.

EDIT: I had to edit your post. Apparently you have to be a Moderator to write the word "r i n g t o n e s". This is what I get when I tried to reply to your post :
    Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 3.28.43 PM.png