Is an iPhone headphone adapter "essential"?

• Thread starter iPhone-Therefore-iAm
  • Start date
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I

iPhone-Therefore-iAm

Just building a list of essential iPhone accessories to buy and wondering if people here feel that an iPhone headphone adapter should be added to my kit... It seems to be a bit expensive at $10 and not sure if I really need it.

Thanks!

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Just building a list of essential iPhone accessories to buy and wondering if people here feel that an iPhone headphone adapter should be added to my kit... It seems to be a bit expensive at $10 and not sure if I really need it.

Thanks!
You don't need it for Apple branded head/ear phones.

If you have a set of headphones that have an elbow plug you will need it.
Some straight plug headphones will fit by shaving some of the plastic around the plug off.

I

iPhone-Therefore-iAm

Some straight plug headphones will fit by shaving some of the plastic around the plug off.
Thanks! Well, I have a set of headphones that I use for running which currently don't fit my iPhone so I guess that I'm stuck having to buy the adapter since I don't really want to shave the plastic off.

It looks like the adapter is one of the bestselling items in the store so I guess that almost everybody is getting one of these.

Any recommendations for which one I should get?

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I ordered mine form ifrogz, it was 6 bucks and it is the line kind so it looks like it belongs. Plus it is not hard and sticking out the top of the phone.

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Just trim your plugs

I've "adjusted" two headphone plugs by using a razor cutter. Slice around, just enough to cut the rubber. Cut down from the edge of the metal to the slice. There's enough rubber there to remove and still leave the usability of the plug intact. Easy. Oh, and free.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio

I have modified many of my headphone plugs this way, including a set of Maxells with an elbow plug. There was plenty of room on the plug side of the bend to play with, so it worked fine. (They are pretty awful phones though, so it was hardly worth the trouble).

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
Or if you want to use your own headphones and still have a mic and a clickable button like the stock buds, try one of these.
http://store.everythingiPhone.com/content/accessories/73-75--2929.htm

I use one of these to connect mine to my car aux input. The mic and button work great in the car.
I always wondered how the mic works on these adapters. It seems that on the standard Apple unit the mic/clicker hangs close to mouth level. The adapter in that link seems to have the mic close to the plug end. That would generally be tucked away somewhere if I were using it like I would normally. (I like to hide my iPhone away from prying eyes when listening at my desk).
When you use that adapter, do you have to hold the mic up to talk into it, or does it pick up your voice loud and clear?