Is anyone disappointed?

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
kinda sucks to see a plastic back piece... But my current iPhone is made of aluminum so that rocks! :cool:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Think of all the other plastic smartphones. The BlackJack (1 and 2) are both entirely plastic, the N95 has plastic counterparts, and there are others that seem really plasticy. I'm sure that Apple isn't going to let us down with quality as they haven't in the past.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
kinda sucks to see a plastic back piece... But my current iPhone is made of aluminum so that rocks! :cool:
The MAIN reason is 2 fold:
1)aluminum dents and bends easier than plastic- more costly to replace or repair
2) Aluminum blocks the radio signals much more than plastic.

lowram00

Bronze
Feb 11, 2008
memphis TN
yes kinda sucks i have a 16gb and it filled up and i was wanting a 32gb or like a 50 but i know thy have it jus t want get them new one out for a few months and drop a bigger one later like they did with the 16gb that why i leted every get a 4gb and 8gb but i knew 16gb was comeing which i know 32gb is comeing just they goin drop it out i say ummm by dec for x mas

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
The MAIN reason is 2 fold:
1)aluminum dents and bends easier than plastic- more costly to replace or repair
2) Aluminum blocks the radio signals much more than plastic.
Reminds me of one of the reasons they switched the PowerBook from titanium to aluminum. Titanium was blocking the wifi too much. I still think the iBooks/MacBooks get better signal with their polycarbonate than the MacBook Pro.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
So I've read through a number of these posts, and I guess I don't really understand how people can not be excited about the new phone. The exterior is updated, the software is improved, there are tons of new apps on the horizon, there is more memory... oh and it's about half the price as compared to what you paid for the phone in your pocket... and that's bad how?

I think everyone needs to re-establish their expectations and try to cope with what can / can't be done. There are reasons for why things are the way they are, why can't people get that? If these things you ask for are so easy to implement, why aren't they on the phone already? I can assure you that it's not because Apple is a part of some conspiracy theory to make YOUR life more complicated by not giving you the simplest of phone gadgets... if you really need something that this phone doesn't offer, buy another phone... so you can start complaining about what THAT one doesn't have.

I swear, half the people on this earth would piss and moan if a stranger walked up to them and gave them $10,000... just because it wasn't $15,000. And if they got $15,000, they'd piss and moan just because it wasn't $20,000.

Last time I checked, the glass was half full - but that's just my observation.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So I've read through a number of these posts, and I guess I don't really understand how people can not be excited about the new phone. The exterior is updated, the software is improved, there are tons of new apps on the horizon, there is more memory... oh and it's about half the price as compared to what you paid for the phone in your pocket... and that's bad how?

I think everyone needs to re-establish their expectations and try to cope with what can / can't be done. There are reasons for why things are the way they are, why can't people get that? If these things you ask for are so easy to implement, why aren't they on the phone already? I can assure you that it's not because Apple is a part of some conspiracy theory to make YOUR life more complicated by not giving you the simplest of phone gadgets... if you really need something that this phone doesn't offer, buy another phone... so you can start complaining about what THAT one doesn't have.

I swear, half the people on this earth would piss and moan if a stranger walked up to them and gave them $10,000... just because it wasn't $15,000. And if they got $15,000, they'd piss and moan just because it wasn't $20,000.

Last time I checked, the glass was half full - but that's just my observation.
Tobey, you are correct, people should be more positive about the new phone. But with a handful of minor exceptions, it really is the same thing as before which makes it hard to get excited after all that buildup to see only a few changes.
The main differences are
3G
Bigger battery to handle 3G
A-GPS
Flush headphone jack
plastic back in 2 different colors

Have I missed anything? 16gig has been out. We can all have the 2.0 software... Oh, it's $10.00 more a month = $240 for the life of the contract.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
The problem is peoples expectations thinking it was going to have everything in it caused people to be disappointed. Rumors of video conferencing, forward facing camera, etc

They created their own disappointment.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
The problem is peoples expectations thinking it was going to have everything in it caused people to be disappointed. Rumors of video conferencing, forward facing camera, etc

They created their own disappointment.
We didn't create our own disappointment. We were just expecting features that are no-brainers for ALL other smart phones.... like copy/paste, MMS, good camera, video recording. My 2 y/o blackberry was able to do this a year ago...

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
We didn't create our own disappointment. We were just expecting features that are no-brainers for ALL other smart phones.... like copy/paste, MMS, good camera, video recording. My 2 y/o blackberry was able to do this a year ago...
Half of thsebthings are still possible, as they are software related. Steve implied that there was more to 2.0.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I still don't understand why you keep bringing up a better camera. Have you tried shooting in well-lit areas? That thing can capture some really nice shots.

- John

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Yes but you knew what the phone had prior to purchasing and decided to buy it anyway.

There is an app for video recording already, I have MMS working as well if the phone doesn't have the features you want then wait for a future version that does.

Copy paste is annoying at times but I hardly used it on the BB, we also don't have flash. I can live without these features.

And yes people were expecting video conferencing and other factors that werent delivered.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Tobey, you are correct, people should be more positive about the new phone. But with a handful of minor exceptions, it really is the same thing as before which makes it hard to get excited after all that buildup to see only a few changes.
The main differences are
3G
Bigger battery to handle 3G
A-GPS
Flush headphone jack
plastic back in 2 different colors

Have I missed anything? 16gig has been out. We can all have the 2.0 software... Oh, it's $10.00 more a month = $240 for the life of the contract.
I hardly call 3G, GPS, and a $200 price cut minor exceptions. Just those things alone justify the purchase, and the price, considering we paid between $300 - $600 for the 1st gen phone. The builup you speak of was created by everyone on the internet - you can't fault Apple for that - they kept everything VERY quiet.

I think the problem is that people EXPECT these things, like a better camera, or cut and paste, or whatever. Lets just pretend we knew nothing about the 3G iPhone - would anybody be complaining if Apple announced a $100 price cut on the current 8GB iPhone? I highly doubt it...

well someone would cry because it wasn't a $150 or $200 price cut, but that's different.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Um, yes you did (create your own disappointment). Did Apple say that they were releasing cut and paste on the 3G iPhone? Did they say the new 3G phone would come with an improved camera, and video recording, or MMS? All the hype was created right here, by rumor threads, and on engadget, and sites like that posting false information. And people just gobbled it up... and then they puked it up when Apple didn't fulfill everyone one of those rumors (which is 100% impossible).

I'm just trying to figure why you would downgrade to an iPhone, given you had a superior product two years ago, in that Blackberry you mentioned?

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I still don't understand why you keep bringing up a better camera. Have you tried shooting in well-lit areas? That thing can capture some really nice shots.

- John
Because most were expecting a 20MP camera with 40x zoom in the new 3G iPhone... along with 100 gigs of memory... and GPS... and cut and paste... and the kitchen sink... and Jessica Alba... and an expandable 40 HD widescreen... and a DVR.... and Sirius reception... and a sandwhich... and a happy ending... and a Porsche... and free service for five years... and Monty Python's holy grail... and some new shoes... and Adobe Photoshop... for $200...