Is anyone going to miss YouTube on the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202403363

Now that they have the copyright protection going in place, I can't use youtube to just think of any music video (or anything copyrighted) and watch and listen to it instantly. I always knew the amount of things you can find on youtube was too good to be true and something would happen eventually to prevent this. I mean companies are trying to make money off music and tv shows and we are taking this instant gratification service for granted....

I'm not going to complain about what's happening because it's understandable that google is doing this because they have no choice. Plus I understand youtube was never really meant for copyrighted stuff (I really hope the cool japanese shows will stay but I doubt it) but more for user created videos and blogs. Of course that's not what made youtube popular and I personally would have no use for it in it's intended purpose! So are you guys going to miss watching anything you want on youtube on the iPhone in the future?

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
from what i've learned in downloading anime off the internet, japanese tv shows only become illegal(or taken off youtube for instance) if the show is shown in america.

i remember i used to watch Naruto(legally) through bitorrent but when it because licsensed in America, it went off most sites.

as for missing youtube, eh it's a 50/50. i used to love youtube dearly and was an active member for a while but now with all the licensing i've almost lost complete interest. despite the few blogs i watch, i rarely use it. UNLESS to look up The Office clips on the iPhone.. but even the iPhone wont show all the videos on youtube and that also turned me away from it.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
youtube on the iPhone kinda sucks honestly. yeah i still use it but it doesn't have a lot of the videos, no comments reading or making, no profile views. Its really a very poorly done app.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I watch every UFC PPV on YouTube the next morning, it's as guaranteed as death and taxes.

Sure, it's copyrighted, and sure it goes down by lunchtime, but the point is, they can't stop everything from being posted, it requires someone to flag the video or have their lawyers send YT an email, and that takes TIME.

Once its flagged, it gets pushed to DailyMotion and whats even better is that DailyMotion works right out of Safari.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I use youtube lot and it is massively scaled down compared to the real youtube. It lacks tons of features but it beats the hell out of using youtube mobile on my helio ocean before i owned the iPhone. It's just awesome learning new things on youtube while in bed relaxing!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I use youtube lot and it is massively scaled down compared to the real youtube. It lacks tons of features but it beats the hell out of using youtube mobile on my helio ocean before i owned the iPhone. It's just awesome learning new things on youtube while in bed relaxing!
I think they are slowly reencoding their library to h.264. I have a number of World of Warcraft walthru/video-guides for Druids and for kicks I tried to search one of my vids last week. Low and behold it showed up and started playing, lol!

I encoded it on a windows box using Windows MovieMaker which outputs WMV. The reason I say this is because I have read that other users who have uploaded mp/g/4 based video can already serve theirs up on the iPhone, which would imply that mine was automatically reencoded by the cold heartless YouTube servers.

So, I guess you could think of the current issue in this light:

We will lose copyrighted material we most likely couldn't see anyway, yet will continue to gain a multitude of original content both new and old.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I think they are slowly reencoding their library to h.264. I have a number of World of Warcraft walthru/video-guides for Druids and for kicks I tried to search one of my vids last week. Low and behold it showed up and started playing, lol!

I encoded it on a windows box using Windows MovieMaker which outputs WMV. The reason I say this is because I have read that other users who have uploaded mp/g/4 based video can already serve theirs up on the iPhone, which would imply that mine was automatically reencoded by the cold heartless YouTube servers.

So, I guess you could think of the current issue in this light:

We will lose copyrighted material we most likely couldn't see anyway, yet will continue to gain a multitude of original content both new and old.
Oh, no I meant feature wise, I like to filter my searches and you really can't with the iPhone youtube. As for the videos, let's just say i've owned the iPhone for less than the month and they have a lot more videos they do than they did then. Plus they look better on my iPhone with the wifi connection!

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Went with the first hack

It was the first icon to be hidden on my iPhone on hacking - so no I will not miss it.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The iPhone has youtube? What a waste of space! Seriously, I have used it twice, I want the icon gone (without hacks). If they removed it, which they won't, I would not miss it in the least.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have honestly used youtube on the iPhone only a few times. To look up that South Carolina pageant lady and to show someone that it actually worked. I really wouldn't mind if it was taken off.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
well i for one love to use you tube. I can watch music videos or clips from amovie if i get an itch for it. so if there was a very dramatic decrease in videos you could say i would be disappointed. but this is just me. also its great for passing time at work when i have nothing to do.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I have honestly used youtube on the iPhone only a few times. To look up that South Carolina pageant lady and to show someone that it actually worked. I really wouldn't mind if it was taken off.
NOOO!

I like the fact that YouTube is available (somewhat) anytime anywhere, I hope that people don't complain about it so much that it's not available when I decide to purchase my iPhone!

I was thinking the other day, I wonder how well they are doing with converting the whole library over, honestly how frickin' long could it take?

And yes I think it really sucks they are taking the copyrighted material away, what BS...

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I would! I love pulling up The Onion News Network clips! It was actually one of the features that "wowed" me to the iPhone. It's great for that show off factor. I like to pull up interviews a lot also.

neph19d

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202403363

Now that they have the copyright protection going in place, I can't use youtube to just think of any music video (or anything copyrighted) and watch and listen to it instantly. I always knew the amount of things you can find on youtube was too good to be true and something would happen eventually to prevent this. I mean companies are trying to make money off music and tv shows and we are taking this instant gratification service for granted....

I'm not going to complain about what's happening because it's understandable that google is doing this because they have no choice. Plus I understand youtube was never really meant for copyrighted stuff (I really hope the cool japanese shows will stay but I doubt it) but more for user created videos and blogs. Of course that's not what made youtube popular and I personally would have no use for it in it's intended purpose! So are you guys going to miss watching anything you want on youtube on the iPhone in the future?
:pthat sucks

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I've had my iPhone since a couple of days after it was available and I thought youtube was useless until just recently. I've lately discovered that a LOT of music videos are available, quite often live performances of some of my favorite artists and songs. If that went away now I would really miss it. But so far as recently as yesterday, I haven't seen any reduction in whats available. Have they started pulling some stuff?

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
PS to above: (can't seem to edit it today).

Note that YouTube videos are at reduced resolution on Edge, but much better on WiFi. If I could only see them with Edge, I would call it useless as well. Some music videos on WiFi with earphones are really great on the iPhone.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
Youtube was cool at first to me but then i never used it due to its lack of videos and so on.... Now every video result just about comes up for me at least, and whenever I go to a website (i'm on tons of car forum's) I can click the link and it will actually stream now from clicking it on a website, that never worked before...

Jun 29, 2007
I still use youtube, but no, not on the iPhone (useless).

Because of the copyright, gone are the foreign commercial free shows. Understandable though, most of the shows i watch are carried by cable channels. For awhile, with youtube's show all, hits and subscription for cable channels are diminished (just my speculation), probably one big reason why the subject of copyright had come-up.