Is Apple going in the wrong direction by focusing on making their products so thin?

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2' started by beautifulliar, Oct 18, 2014.

1. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

What do you prefer? A higher resolution display or a skinnier device? The excuse Apple is using is that in order to add the 4K display to the iPad Air 2, it would need a bigger battery, which would not fit into the thin iPad Air 2. Their focus is on making all their products as thin as possible, even if that means not upgrading the display very much. The display on iPads have been pretty much the same for years. Personally, I feel they are going in the wrong direction. Everyone notices their screen. You look at that the most. Giving their devices the highest resolution possible should be their #1 priority, not making their devices as thin as possible. At some point, bending will become an issue (if it isn't already). Thin devices look good in commercials, but in reality almost everyone puts their phone/ipad into a bulky case, which makes the slim build insignificant.

I bought an iPad Air 2, but I'm disappointed in the resolution. I absolutely do not care that the new iPad is thinner.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I don't see any reason for a higher resolution screen on an iPad, and definitely not 4k. I'm glad their concentration is elsewhere, even if it is only making devices thinner.

3. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

On the iPad Air I could barely tell the difference between SD and HD video. HD video and games would look much better in 4K.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

sorry, but that makes no sense.

5. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

What I meant is that the current resolution of the iPad Air can't pick up the details of HD video. On my iPad Air I played an SD widescreen video and compared it to an HD 1080p video. I could not tell the difference between the videos because the resolution of the screen is so poor. What I wanted was for the iPad Air 2 to have an HD 2304 x 3072 396 ppi display.

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I understand what you mean, but I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how resolutions work. The retina iPad has all the pixels it needs (and more) to show the difference between SD (480p) and HD video (720p or 1080p). if you cannot see it, then you're either holding the iPad too far away or you just have poor vision. Adding more pixels will not make any difference whatsoever, at least not where 480/720/1080p is concerned.

7. beautifulliar

beautifulliar Member
    Bronze

I only come here when there's a new apple product coming out, so I'm no expert in the specs of the iPads. But, I do have good vision and don't like how HD video looks on an iPad. The display looks much better on an iPad mini and on my iPhone. Without getting too technical, Apple can still improve the quality of the displays of the iPads. I had read somewhere that the next iPad would be 4K. I don't know all the technical details of what the 4K upgrade entails, but I'm pretty sure that would mean that HD video would look better on an iPad.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

it actually won't. I'll try an imperfect metaphor. it's a little long, but bear with me.

think of resolution like a big empty book. the more pages (resolution) you have, the more words (pixels, or pieces of a picture) you can fit in there. Say you have a blank book with 480 pages, and you just start laying out a basic outline, and before you know it your basic outline is already 480 pages long. you've maxed out the amount of information you can fit in that book, so you decide to add a few more pages. let's say 240 more pages. now you have 720 pages to work with. your book now has the capability to hold a more detailed or bigger story, but at the moment it is only actually holding a very basic outline 480 pages long. it hasn't taken advantage of those extra pages yet. But now at least you can go back and add in more detail to your outline, so you do until you've once again filled your book. all 720 pages are full. the story is taking shape, but it's still not quite epic enough for you. you need more pages again. 1080 this time. Now on your third draft you fill up all 1080 pages again; you finally feel comfortable with the level of detail, and it's still accessible to the vast majority of people. Although... you start thinking maybe in a few years you might lose your day job and take this book to Tolkien-levels of world-building, so you add even more pages. 1536 pages. Just in case. but for now you're more or less happy with the story, so you start selling it even with 500 or so blank pages. Maybe later you'll sell the unabridged 1536 page version, and even later maybe a 2,160 page version with a forward and afterward by admiring colleagues, peripheral works, illustrations, everything. But that will come later. For now 1080 pages is perfect. Those 500 blank pages in the back won't hurt anything, but they won't add to the story either since they're not being used.

That's where we are now with HD video and the iPad's screen resolution. HD video is 1080p (length of the story), but the iPad's resolution (total pages in book, even empty ones) is already well above that at 1536. adding another 600 pixels (blank pages) to 2160p (aka 4k) will give it the capability to show an even more detailed picture, but it won't matter if the picture is still only 1080p.

in short, it's like putting a 1,080 page story in a 2,160 page book. Unnecessary.

[For those of you who know how resolutions work, I know I only discussed the vertical dimension, just wantd to make it as simple as possible.]

#8 acosmichippo, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have to agree with the OP.

I'd also like better screens and it's not just the iPad that suffers. For a comparison I have 2 phones sitting side by side right now. The Nokia Lumia 930 and the iPhone 6. The Lumia 930 is a 7 month old phone and the iPhone 6 is obviously a newly released device.

The screen on the Lumia 930 demolishes the iPhone 6. It's not even close!

I was in Best Buy about a month ago just browsing and played with a Samsung Tablet. I can't keep track of their tablets because they release a new one every few weeks but the screen on it was amazing! In comparison to my iPad, I remember thinking that I wished the iPad had a screen that nice..

Apple, once could proclaim that they had the best screens but this is no longer true as just about everyone has passed them by. The same holds true on Laptops..

My .02

#9 raqball, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Look before you buy. If you did that then why did you buy?

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Let's stop making excuses for apple, the reason they don't go 4K yet is cost and "planned obsolescence". They want to milk every last penny and for that they have to slowly release innovation and if that means selling us outdated tech then that's what they will do.

#11 liberated, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

image.jpg

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

14. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

#14 acosmichippo, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Impressive well thought out answer SMH

#15 liberated, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The rules are there for a reason, hippo. Thanks.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

How much more of an answer do you need beyond my 4 other posts in this thread?

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Listen, I'm not looking to argue dude, your answer to mine was what I was referring to. All I posted is my opinion, an opinion is just that. If you have a valid argument against it then post it, I may agree or disagree. We are all free to post opinions here, doesn't mean mine is more valid than yours.

19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The problem is you posted as if there are literally no valid reasons for not having a 4k iPad. That is simply not true as I explained in my previous posts.

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I read your posts, and I disagree with your assessment. In my opinion my explanation is more plausible. You're free to disagree.