Is AppleCare+ worth the money?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by topcat84, Sep 24, 2014.

1. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi Guys!!
    My 6+ will arrive tomorrow and I wanted your input on whether Apple Care is worth it or not. I've never bought it before, but I've always used a very protective case, (Otterbox Defender), and didn't feel the need. With the size of the 6+, I want to stay with a thinner profile case. I've already received the Apple leather case and it probably won't protect as well as others, but I really like it. Also......can I purchase Apple Care before receiving my phone tomorrow or will I have to wait? Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Call your home or auto insurance company and ask if they provide personal article policy. If they do, they are usually a lot less that Apple Care and no deductible.

3. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I like it. It gives me peace of mind if something goes wrong ... especially on a device I use constantly. My last two iPhones were both replaced by AppleCare by the extended warranty coverage for faulty buttons so it's been worth it for me. I usually keep my phones for two years, anyways.

#3 iErik, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Depending on your carrier you may get a better deal with them than with apple in my opinion. I have the AT&T insurance for $6.99 a month and also covers lost or stolen phones.

#4 FFAP1234, Sep 24, 2014
  5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

What's the deductible on that AT&T plan?
    Fairly expensive, I imagine...

I've always used AppleCare+ and have been well taken care of.
    Had my 5 swapped out on warranty 2 times with 0 out of pocket deductible...

There is also the two years of tech support that is included w/the program to consider.

#5 snowtrooper1966, Sep 24, 2014
  6. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's called AppleCare+. Regular AppleCare is the standard free warranty. Yes, AppleCare+ is well worth the money. It's nice having that peace of mind that you could get a same-day replacement. The problem with going with home/auto insurance or some of the other third party insurance companies is that many of them don't do same-day replacements and claims might affect your home/auto premiums. And it wouldn't be fun having to use a loaner phone for a couple weeks while you wait. The deductible is a lot lower than it is with some of the third party insurance companies. Also, Apple will ship you a replacement with free shipping if you don't live near an Apple Store. Then you return the old phone in the same box with the prepaid shipping label. The shipping charge is $30 for those without AppleCare+. Additionally, you get free tech support through Apple for two years. It's only three months without it. It's prorated, too, so you can get some money back at the end of the year if you upgrade annually. It's best to stick with Apple for insurance, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Oops, still having my AM coffee. Above post edited for clarity.

I agree 100%, worth every penny.

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I complain a lot about AT&T, there are many things that I don't agree how they handle it. I was very upset with them when my iPhone was stolen (with apple care +) and was told by them that somebody else was using my phone on AT&T but all they could do was block the IMEI. I was also very upset no long ago because they didn't allow me to cancel my order for the iPhone 6 without restocking fee, and the list goes on...

On the other hand this is my story about a broken phone on one of my lines. The day after I reported the broken phone I got a seal brand-new one shipped to my home. I wasn't charged for shipping, and they also had a promotion and instead of giving me the actual deductible of $200 they gave me a deductible of $150. Maybe the fact that I got a seal phone was an exception but I did get a new iPhone 5S 32 GB brand-new, it happened last month.

#9 FFAP1234, Sep 24, 2014
  10. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

EverythingiCafe solved me problems that tech support couldn't figure them out.

11. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

This is also excellent for anyone on a contract, because AppleCare+ will be exactly the length of your contract if you're in the US or Canada.

12. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

That is a good point. Apple insurance will give more value to the phone if u decide to sell it before the 2 years.

13. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

I love AC+ because I have been known to throw my phone after a Jets loss.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I might get my Plus tomorrow if my delivery address change request goes through from Apple, and it's looking like it will.

Giants - Redskins tomorrow night. Please, 'Skins, don't make me angry. My Plus wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. luvit!

luvit! Member
    Bronze

I see a "bending" coming on! ^^^^^^

16. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

On my iPhone 5 apple care + included up to two replacement phones for $49 each no matter what the circumstance. I used them both. One fell in water the other ran over by my hotrod.
    I wonder if they still do that?
    Tom

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Hush, you.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's $79 now as of the 5s.

19. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

AppleCare+ for me! I look at it as AppleCare+ is my case! I've always gone long times with no case and never broke a phone. The 6+ is to big and to nice for a case!

Sent from my iPhone 5

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Just rolled into the Apple store and bough AppleCare+ for both our phones. I feel better.