Is AT&T effed up or is my phone headed on its way out?

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Aside from not getting through a day without my phone dying anymore, I have noticed that my network is becoming seriously lack luster. I have an original iPhone with the good ol' Edge network and it seems like it never works anymore other than to just use it to make calls... I can check my mail and weather only about one to two times each before the network gets hosed up and it stops updating, thus leaving me to turn off my iPhone and to turn it back on.. Also, once it gets hosed, I stop receiving text messages... So here I am pissed and txting someone like 10 times wondering what's going on then finally getting a chance to call them and them being twice as pissed because they have been replying! Here's the kicker, when I'm on the phone with the person, all of the txt messages magically appear all in a row....

I don't get this boys and girls.... Show some love for the original iPhone gang.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So long as everything remains working, it's entirely possible that the sim card needs replacing.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Go to an ATT store. You can get them there. They will probably charge you for it, but who knows? Maybe not.
If you go to a "corporate store" AT&T and tell them you need a new sim card, they shouldnt charge you.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
If you go to a "corporate store" AT&T and tell them you need a new sim card, they shouldnt charge you.
Yeah but would they insert it themselves? How do I know which one to get? Is'nt the iPhones SIM card internal?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Yeah but would they insert it themselves? How do I know which one to get? Is'nt the iPhones SIM card internal?
No it isn't. Look on the top of your phone and you will see a tiny hole. You can take a paper clip and insert it in the hole and the tray that holds the sim card will pop out.
ATT will certainly know which sim you need and will put it in for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
No it isn't. Look on the top of your phone and you will see a tiny hole. You can take a paper clip and insert it in the hole and the tray that holds the sim card will pop out.
ATT will certainly know which sim you need and will put it in for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it.
That still doesn't solve the battery problem. The one year warranty will save me on the battery replacement program, correct? How long will that take? Could I take out my sim card and put it in a temporary phone? I don't think I could go a week or two without a phone... I know I can't actually.......

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Aside from not getting through a day without my phone dying anymore, I have noticed that my network is becoming seriously lack luster. I have an original iPhone with the good ol' Edge network and it seems like it never works anymore other than to just use it to make calls... I can check my mail and weather only about one to two times each before the network gets hosed up and it stops updating, thus leaving me to turn off my iPhone and to turn it back on.. Also, once it gets hosed, I stop receiving text messages... So here I am pissed and txting someone like 10 times wondering what's going on then finally getting a chance to call them and them being twice as pissed because they have been replying! Here's the kicker, when I'm on the phone with the person, all of the txt messages magically appear all in a row....

I don't get this boys and girls.... Show some love for the original iPhone gang.
i feel for you man, really. i am still on 1st gen iPhone and i am in no big hurry to upgrade.

what these guys have said already is correct..gank the sim card and get a new one..something is causing this delay and its not your fault.

hang in there and keep asking these guys for advise.

Did u backup your stuff yet? if you didn't find a way to back it off so you don't have to create contacts..

let us know how it work out!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Also, if you are inside your first year warranty, I would promptly make an appointment with the nearest Apple genius bar and have them swap the phone out.

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Also, if you are inside your first year warranty, I would promptly make an appointment with the nearest Apple genius bar and have them swap the phone out.
Swap my phone out? They'll trade it out on the spot and give me a new phone?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Swap my phone out? They'll trade it out on the spot and give me a new phone?
Yes, if you go in there and state that you have tried everything to maintain a normal battery life, and you are getting ** many hours of usage. If your phone is not lasting more than 4 hours of voice, email, and edge/wifi browsing, and your brightness is down, location services and Push are off, then that is an indication of a bad battery.

* Side note. Things like games or high-end graphical programs, or things that rely of connectivity, also drain the battery pretty quick. If you use these, it would explain the poor battery life. If you do not, then it's a problem with the hardware. They will swap your phone out with a refurb.

If you are outside the warranty, then I would suggest maybe sending it off to iPodjuice to get the battery replaced. They guarantee their batteries for 10 years.

birdman0824

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I see you are from Texas, I am in College Station and ever since Ike edge has been spotty at best for me as well. My mail usually doesn't update at all unless I reboot the phone, then I get about 20 messages at once. Weather and the internet hardly works as well. Although it has gotten better this week and since yesterday I have started actually getting my mail updated like it did when I first bought the phone. Might be something with ATT's network down here.

Sucks about the battery though, I had an original Iday first gen and the battery on that sucker was amazing, I could go two or three days without charging. Then i got a refurb when my original started getting bubbles in the screen. Now this one's battery last a day at best, but I think that has more to do with 2.1 and all the games and apps I use on it now :)