Is AT&T Really this cowardly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bballrob, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So yesterday I received the dreaded "3 GB, we're going to throttle you" text message from AT&T.

Of course, I called to express my displeasure. AFter the CS Rep basically said there was nothing she could do, I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said there were none available. I said I was willing to hold as long as I needed to until they were. She put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and then came back and told me that the best she could do was have one call me back within 48 hours. I told her that was unacceptable. Then, as she started taking down information and the best time to call, she hung up on me. Either that or their over congested network dropped the call.

So I called right back. Got someone else who I only very briefly told what I was calling about, and asked to be transferred to a supervisor. She told me she could have one call me back within 4 hours. This was a little better, but I explained to here that for most of those next 4, I would be in a meeting. She did say she could probably have them call me back about 3.5 hours from then, and I said that would be fine as my meeting should be done by then.

As it turned out, I was out of my meeting a little over 2 hours later. I was sitting at my desk, working on some reports. About 30-40 minutes later, I noticed that I had a voicemail. Here's where it gets odd. My phone never rang. There was no missed call in the call log. And, here's the straw that breaks the camel's back, the voicemail message was left in the voicemail box of the regular "phone app", NOT in my YouMail voicemail box where every one else's voicemails end up. It makes me think that the dude really didn't want to talk to me yesterday at all, and using resources available to cowardly supervisors, he just planted a voicemail in my inbox to make it appear as if he had tried to contact me. I called back to the number that he had called from, and all I got was his voicemail. But, it was the same guy who left me the message, so at least now I have a direct internal number. He said he'd try back today at the same time. That is in about 3 hours from now. Should be interesting to see what kind of lame excuse he throws at me.

BTW, the first CS Rep's first response was, "Do you have Wi-Fi" to which I said yes, I do, and I use that too, but I don't always have that available to me."

And once I'm done talking to this guy, if anyone else wants his direct number, let me know. I'm happy to give it to you. He'll probably end up disconnecting it by the time I'm through giving it out.

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I don't know what you're expecting. Their policy is pretty clear and you signed the contract that allows it. Case closed. They just don't offer unlimited data anymore.

3. aknightstale41

Gold

Interesting story, yes AT&T has some major PR issues, and even though they lost a lawsuit pertaining to their throttling, unfortunately they probably will continue their shady policy of redefining the word "Unlimited".
    But if more people sue them over this...Ya never know (y)

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Yawn
    Same complaints. Same people. Different thread.

5. Christopher Meinck

Christopher Meinck Administrator
    Administrator

I've had the same "we'll call you back in 48 hours" from AT&T, so that's not so strange.

While I don't agree with their policy, I think they will eventually find a way to transition everyone to one of their current plans.

The best way to get back at AT&T is to vote with your wallet. Thankfully, as iPhone users, we have choices like Sprint and Verizon.

#5 Christopher Meinck, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Worse than that is the amount of time and energy they have spent on it--for nothing. One would think the time would be more valuable than any perceived "value" in an unlimited plan that at this rate will be gone soon anyway. By "at this rate" I mean the incessant complaining could speed up the demise of unlimited. I sure wouldn't keep it around with this kind of aggravation.

AT&T is absolutely not going to budge on this issue.

Michael

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

The few people that are unhappy and "vote with their wallet" won't even be noticeable to AT&T.

#7 Rugaby, Mar 21, 2012
  8. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I see unlimited data plans coming back in 9 years.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Maybe, maybe not. As a consumer, at least you'll feel better about sending $100 to some other wireless carrier, instead of AT&T. It all depends on your level of rage against the machine. It bothers me, but I prefer GSM, so I'm sticking with AT&T for now.

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Everyone will have their reason. The pain of switching carriers or whatever.
    A year from now we won't even remember unlimited plans and AT&T will still be on top.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

#neverforget:mad:

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

let it all out Chris, we know you want to.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I did. I did.

#13 chris, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I read that article a while back, whenever I made a reference to "some people are getting throttled at 2 gigs, not fair" it was in reference to Mrs Clifford.

#14 Bennyboy, Mar 21, 2012
  15. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Not everyone had this option. Sprint and Verizon don't currently offer service in Alaska.

If it was as easy as just switching carriers, I would have already done it -- term fee and all.

What bothers me more is that AT&T sits there and flat out lies to their customers. It's not an unlimited plan. They need to stop lying about it and calling it that.

#15 bballrob, Mar 21, 2012
  16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Same arguments as always.
    It's not unlimited blah blah. They lie. Blah blah.
    Don't we have a thread about this already? The constant old tired arguments with no follow up action by the complainers?

17. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

No one forces you to read it. Just move along.

18. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Do you have another name for it that AT&T could use?

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Oh yes sir master Rob.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The inaccurate name for the throttled plan really bothers you more than the throttling itself? It's not like AT&T hasn't made their customers all aware of how much they can use before being they will be slowed down. It's pointless to stay on it anymore (unless you prefer a painfully slow 4th GB over a fast $10 4th GB) so it will slowly phase itself out.

I understand that the name isn't really accurate anymore, but AT&T isn't hiding or lying about what they'll do when you exceed 3 GB. Would you really be happy if they offically changed the name to the throttled plan or something along those lines or would you still be just as angry about the situation? And, yes, they are a crappy company for doing this to their customers, but so is Verizon, and we all signed the contract that allows AT&T to throttle.