Is call reception better with 3G turned on or off?

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Quick question..I just upgraded to the 3G..one friend told me to get better reception/more bars I should turn 3G off, and another friend told me the opposite...searched the forums and heard both answers too

I tried it out it seemed about the same

Any ideas? Does it even matter if it's on or off? Thanks

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i think it pretty much depends on your area. your phone will try to get on 3g, but if it loses 3g reception it will drop down to edge. so if you have a strong 3g signal, i think you should be ok.

i haven't had my 3g too long so im not entirely sure, so someone correct me if im wrong.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Quick question..I just upgraded to the 3G..one friend told me to get better reception/more bars I should turn 3G off, and another friend told me the opposite...searched the forums and heard both answers too

I tried it out it seemed about the same

Any ideas? Does it even matter if it's on or off? Thanks
With 3G on it WILL eat your battery life vs edge. Its all on where you live and the 3G in your area. My 3G goes in and out in houston so i just keep it on edge intill i need to go to a big web page. I cant tell which one has better reception 3G or edge but you would think 3G would.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
This is a great question that I've never seen a definitive answer to. Supposedly, 3G should be better, but if you are In a bad area (reception wise), your phone switching back and forth between edge and 3G supposedly will break up your reception.
I'd love to hear some comments on this.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
This is a great question that I've never seen a definitive answer to. Supposedly, 3G should be better, but if you are In a bad area (reception wise), your phone switching back and forth between edge and 3G supposedly will break up your reception.
I'd love to hear some comments on this.
You just summed up exactly what I wanted to say :).

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Having 3g on WILL provide you with better call quality, hands down. However, it MAY depend on your area. Like other members wrote, if 3g is weak, the iPhone will switch to edge. I keep my 3g on, location services on, wifi off, push off, and i get a solid two days of battery life. Thats with heavy text, phone, and web browsing once every three hours. Generally, 3g is a power hog, but if you manage your power usage, you can make it work. You wouldn't keep all the lights on in all the unused rooms of a house would you?
For example, i forgot to charge my phone the other night, so at the start of my day, i turned 3g off to manage power, and all the calls i made were a noticeable lower quality. Never dropped, but hisses, garbles and one echo.
Now i just got a new 3g, but ive been getting great battery life from my other 3g that i had since second launch.