Is Google Now Draining Your Battery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
With yesterday's arrival of Google Now for iOS (attached to the Google search app), I have noticed that the location services arrow is on all the time in order to enhance the app's ability to render appropriate assistance. I recognize that I can disable location services either via the iOS settings or via the Google Now settings. My question is this: have you noticed an appreciable drain on your battery since you have begun using Google Now?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Too early for me to say. Hopefully they update it so it doesn't stay active at all times. Siri only uses it when needed.

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
My very limited experience so far is that the drain appears to be negligible on my iPhone 4 and iPad 3.

Sent using iCafe app

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the tip, I just noticed this (and turned location services off in the settings).

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
I've ended up turning off "Location Reporting" in the Google Now Settings > Privacy > toggle Location Reporting. This turned off the interminable arrow without, perhaps, shutting it down entirely in iOS settings.

Sent using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't really understand why it needs location services in the background if it doesn't actually push any live information on iOS. Why doesn't it just access GPS when you open the app and check your cards?

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
I believe much of its functionality depends on its knowing where you are, so that it can make more helpful predictions and suggestions on the fly, such as suggesting alternate routes or updating your flight info when you're on the way to the airport. Personally, it creeps me out a bit.

Sent using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I understand that, and that makes sense on the Android platform where it's always active and there to give you information on the lock screen, etc. But the hobbled version on iOS should only need to update your location when you look at it. I guess it's a bit faster to do it in the background, but since you can't access the information without opening the app and looking at it, it doesn't seem worth it for the battery drain.

From what I've read, they're using the location services API in a rather unique way that they claim is very efficient and shouldn't use much battery. Time will tell...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You noticed an actual battery drain? Because I don't at all.
Yeah, it seemed to drain a little more overnight while I was using it and it wasn't idle. Plus I don't like the location services icon being on in the status bar 100% of the time. I'm OCD anal about that.
It's usually idle since you got the HTC One though, right?

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I agree with Europa, I don't like the arrow up in my status bar all the time. Although it doesn't seem to drain the battery much more, it's kinda creepy knowing that Google knows where I am at all times.

I didn't uninstall it, but I turned location services off within the app...