Is inconsistent power button a hardware or software issue?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Have been experiencing an inconsistent power button on my iPhone. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't work unless I press it down hard and/or multiple times. I know I can go to Apple, but I don't want to loose my jailbreak. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I've decided to order the 10 dollar part and replace the power button myself. Reasons: Don't want to loose my unlocked device (bought it on eBay before it was illegal, and don't want to loose my JB. the repair looks pretty straight forward.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I've decided to order the 10 dollar part and replace the power button myself. Reasons: Don't want to loose my unlocked device (bought it on eBay before it was illegal, and don't want to loose my JB. the repair looks pretty straight forward.
No sarcasm intended. But good luck. I would never attempt a repair to my device apart from a cracked screen lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Cool. I wouldn't want to lose my unlock and jailbreak, either. Good luck and post your results after you do this. I was just looking at the guide and it's rated as difficult, but it sounds like you have a lot of experience with repairs of this sort. I found the lock button for $5 on iFixit. Did you get it somewhere else? The required tools were around $20 in addition to that.

AdamDaieh

Bronze
Jan 17, 2013
California
Let us know if it works. My friend also have a problem with his power button, and he's going to Apple store this weekend. Maybe I could also advice him to do the same if yours work. :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Update: I completed the repair today, thoughts? If I had to do it all again, I'd think twice. It's just a very detailed fix and the parts have to go in just right. It took me about an hour because I was bring overly cautious. Power button works now.