Is it even worth jailbreaking now? (debate)

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I wana get a debate started here, hopefully it picks up well.

With all the new apps and software Apple constantly releases, refreshes or updates into existing apps, is it really necessary now to want or need to jailbreak? or even remain jailbroken? Even in the following days with iOS5 being released with all its very innovative features the will or need (this can be argued) to jailbreak an iPhone or iDevice becomes less and less needed.

(I personally don't see the point of needing to remain jailbroken anymore seeing as my main issue has fixed itself, in that I can now afford contract less iPhone's and thus no longer need to jailbreak for an unlock). I stopped using themes on my phone back in the days before the 3Gs and of the jailbreak/cydia the only features most required by me are unlock (which i don't need) and SB settings (which I still use to this date but jailbreaking just to have SB settings? Hmm).

Thoughts?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I like some of the advantages of Jailbreaking. I never did themes. But I love customizing my sounds and I couldn't like without iRealSMS. I can say if they would give me the ability to rotate sounds and customize a bit more. I wouldn't feel the need to jailbreak.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
All jailbreakers have different reasons for doing it. My wife does it mainly so she can Facetime with the baby over 3G at work. I do it mainly for activator shortcuts to dozens of apps and functions. I use those constantly and wouldn't give them up for the world. That and FakeClockUp is a pretty addicting experience. And LockInfo is still more flexible than iOS 5's notification system.

I've decided to stay jailbroken until 5 is jailbroken.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm with psylichon. I'm so comfy with the jailbreak on my iPhone 4 that none of the new hardware or iOS5 features will sway me. LockInfo, SBSettings and BiteSMS alone are worth staying put for in my opinion. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on Cydia and my upgrade date to be sure though ;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Absolutely. I have about twenty tweaks and apps that I've grown accustomed to.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Absolutely. I have about twenty tweaks and apps that I've grown accustomed to.
I agree. There are many tweaks that I don't think I could go without. Plus, SBSettings, Tlert and Intelliscreen I really couldn't go without anymore.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I installed the GM last night, it's great. I'm probably going to jailbreak today just because I can. The only feature I've missed so far is SBSettings. It's been less than a day so I can't really complain. BBSettings looks nice :)

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I'm going to wait until an untethered version of iOS is available before I Jailbreak, seeing I've got to use custom firmware. But as far as jailbreaking goes, I'd miss my Bite Sms too much, I don't really do much theming these days, but I like having my little tweaks such as sb settings(might have to see what John thinks about BBsettings) and Bytafont, Wifi Passwords. A couple of many that I couldn't possibly mention. Lol. ;)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I installed the GM last night, it's great. I'm probably going to jailbreak today just because I can. The only feature I've missed so far is SBSettings. It's been less than a day so I can't really complain. BBSettings looks nice :)
BBSettings?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Quick and easy: 3G unrestrictor, MyWi, and possibly Dreamboard. iOS 5 has the rest already.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I like some of the advantages of Jailbreaking. I never did themes. But I love customizing my sounds and I couldn't like without iRealSMS. I can say if they would give me the ability to rotate sounds and customize a bit more. I wouldn't feel the need to jailbreak.
I agree I couldn't live without iRealSMS and also MyWi4.0, and MY3G

also I hope they have a longer vibe for TExts and notifications........I customize the vibrations so they last longer..

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hmmm looks great. Whats the UI like on iPad? Is there a working release yet? Im at work so cant look at the site mentioned above for info!

Jan 18, 2011
South East USA
www.prazim.com
I'm definitely jailbreaking again, I use MyWi regularly and i couldn't do without BiteSMS QuickReply. Plus, BBSettings does look amazing, and i like to be able to customize.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I'm definitely jailbreaking again, I use MyWi regularly and i couldn't do without BiteSMS QuickReply. Plus, BBSettings does look amazing, and i like to be able to customize.
You ripped off my avatar! ;)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm seeing Apple's everywhere....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Cool Apple avatars, guys.