Is it finally time to move from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dust lane, Aug 3, 2013.

1. dust lane

dust lane New Member

I have been back and forth between an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4 for a while now. I had an S4 for a couple of weeks right after it came out but i traded it for an iPhone 5. I like both phones but I really miss the location based reminders with the S4. The idea of having to have the place in my address book before I can make a reminder is ridiculous. And I used the location based reminders with google now a lot. However, the smoothness of ios is hard to ignore. I found someone that has a mint S4 that wants to trade for my iPhone 5 but i don't know if i want to make the transition. Opinions?

Sent using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

With your being a former Galaxy S4 users, you are probably aware of the differences between the two. For me, and I swap between an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 among others, it's still the apps which keep me coming back to iOS. You used the word smooth to describe the OS. Android is plenty snappy now, but there is something about iOS that just flows. That's even more so with iOS 7. The layers are ridiculous, as are the animations, in a good way.

How are you using location based reminders with Google Now? I'm curious, because I've never used them, but I use the Reminders app in iOS quite a bit. The shared lists are big for me and my wife.

There is a thread, Intent to switch to Android, which might be of interest.

3. dust lane

dust lane New Member

With Google now, I can simply say something like "Remind me to buy socks when I get to Denver Colorado" and it will make a reminder and I will be notified when I get to Denver. That's just an example. With IOS, the only way I can set a reminder like this is if I physically go into my contacts and add the address of the location. Otherwise, Siri just does a search for socks in Denver Colorado. This reminders are a God send. I miss those like crazy. I just got back from a trip and I forgot to buy something that is only available in the town I was in. I never made the reminder because I would have had to go online, get the address, and make a contact for that store. With Google, I could have simply said " remind me to get .... when I get to ...

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It would be nice to be able to just say it, but I set this up in about 10 seconds. I didn't have to type a specific address in reminders - just Denver, Colorado.
    image.jpg

There are pros and cons to both operating systems, and you'll have to decide which OS has more pros and is best for you. Taking a few seconds longer to set up location reminders that don't already have an address wouldn't drive me away from iOS, but that's not something I use very often. The lack of word wrap on iOS is my main complaint. As far as the pros go, I like how the iPhone is more secure, has a smoother interface, better battery life, non-convoluted menus, same day phone replacements, exceptional customer service, hardware-software integration and software support for years, better app quality, a Bluetooth battery meter on the status bar, gapless music playback, better car compatibility and how you can text videos.

5. Chumi

Chumi New Member

In my opinion, reminders with locations are not ready for our batteries. If you have to use GPS all the time to know if you are in a place, S4 and iPhone 5 will die rapidly.
    And, if you are not using the GPS all time, it's possible that your reminders don't work properly.

6. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I have my iPhone 5 & a galaxy s4 and I love them both and they both bring out the best of both worlds so my point is why do you have to choose one or the other when you can have them both.

Sent using iCafe app