Is it free to access Internet when using WiFi on iPhone

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
Does having a Wi-Fi connection in my house grant the usage of free internet and features on the iPhone 3G?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Does having a Wi-Fi connection in my house grant the usage of free internet and features on the iPhone 3G?
Free, to the extent that you're paying your internet service provider a monthly charge for DSL or cable. But no, time spent on a WiFi connection doesn't count towards your AT&T data allowance.

-K

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Free, to the extent that you're paying your internet service provider a monthly charge for DSL or cable. But no, time spent on a WiFi connection doesn't count towards your AT&T data allowance.

-K
And your AT&T data allowance is unlimited. :) But, I'm pretty sure you HAVE to take the $30 data plan. I don't think that's optional. And since you probably can't activate without leaving the store then I don't think there's any way around it. Except for buying an iPod Touch.

NewAtThis

Bronze
Jul 5, 2008
And your AT&T data allowance is unlimited. :) But, I'm pretty sure you HAVE to take the $30 data plan. I don't think that's optional. And since you probably can't activate without leaving the store then I don't think there's any way around it. Except for buying an iPod Touch.
You're not required to buy a data plan in Canada. :)

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
theres WI-FI in my house that's not mines and i plan on downloading the voip program so i can make free calls.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
theres WI-FI in my house that's not mines and i plan on downloading the voip program so i can make free calls.
We here at everythingiCafe do not advocate using Wi-Fi signals from your neighbors who do not know better. It would be good etiquette to ask your neighbor before using their Wi-Fi signal. :laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
True that. You need to ask your neighbors before you use it; otherwise, it's illegal.

- John

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
True that. You need to ask your neighbors before you use it; otherwise, it's illegal.

- John

hah I don't care...I could set up my own WI-FI as well, it'll just take some extra work.

ohh and I plan on downloading movies and music from torrents in mp4 format and loading them on my iPhone, F iTunes and their .99 per song and w/e per movie :laugh2:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
hah I don't care...I could set up my own WI-FI as well, it'll just take some extra work.

ohh and I plan on downloading movies and music from torrents in mp4 format and loading them on my iPhone, F iTunes and their .99 per song and w/e per movie :laugh2:
I can see your point. Sure wouldn't want to put a little effort into doing the right thing. With such a busy life, it is easier to let someone else do things for you.:p

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I can see your point. Sure wouldn't want to put a little effort into doing the right thing. With such a busy life, it is easier to let someone else do things for you.:p

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
so you don't plan on doing any Internet browsing away from home?

I'm getting the data plan so I am going to browse when I want.....except I can't use the voip for calling unless on wi-fi.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I'm getting the data plan so I am going to browse when I want.....except I can't use the voip for calling unless on wi-fi.
even so you would be piggy backing of your neighbors wifi so thing may not go as smooth as you'd like

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You're not required to buy a data plan in Canada. :)
If you don't buy some sort of data plan, then Rogers is going to charge you $.05/Kb of data usage. If you ever use the google maps, stocks, weather, or any of the web clips, they're going to tear you up on usage charges. I use 30MB of data/month, and most of my time is spent on WIFI. That would be $30/month data usage without my data plan, but for you that will be $150/month! I would seriously consider one of the cheapest data plans at least.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well, if he doesn't buy a data plan, then EDGE is a no-go as well.
No without a data plan he'll still be able to access the net, only it will cost him $.05/KB! That's five times the cost of AT&T's per usage data charges.