Is it just me... or is anyone else worried about battery life on 3G?

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Topic. Before iPhone version 1 last year I owned the 8025, 8525, 8925 HTC phones from AT&T. Both the 8525 and 8925 had HORRIBLE battery lives on 3G. I was avid about the phones and installed almost 11 home and custom home-brew ROM's for them updating software constantly and no matter what the battery life would not let up. It came down to a guy who made the best program those phones had ever seen.... a 3G on and off switch. So, the specifications always say one thing.... but its always completely different in the users hands so what do you guys think. I guess I was battery life deprived in the past due to 3G so I thought and still think the iPhone's battery life is AMAZING. I do not want to ruin that. Please comment and voice your opinions.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
It has been rumored that their may be a switch to turn off the 3G. But this is only rumors

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Still, all in all putting the disabling and enabling of 3G aside, how will the phone hold up with moderate / heavy usage of internet daily? My old 3G phones barely could last half a day with a good amount of internet usage.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Topic. Before iPhone version 1 last year I owned the 8025, 8525, 8925 HTC phones from AT&T. Both the 8525 and 8925 had HORRIBLE battery lives on 3G. I was avid about the phones and installed almost 11 home and custom home-brew ROM's for them updating software constantly and no matter what the battery life would not let up. It came down to a guy who made the best program those phones had ever seen.... a 3G on and off switch. So, the specifications always say one thing.... but its always completely different in the users hands so what do you guys think. I guess I was battery life deprived in the past due to 3G so I thought and still think the iPhone's battery life is AMAZING. I do not want to ruin that. Please comment and voice your opinions.
I'm not too worried about it. The iPHone doesn't run all kinds of programs in the background like windows mobile does. The battery in the Nokia N95 is pretty poor but I still get a full day out of it. The iPhone is much better at power management than any of the windows mobile phones or the N95.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not too worried about it. The iPHone doesn't run all kinds of programs in the background like windows mobile does. The battery in the Nokia N95 is pretty poor but I still get a full day out of it. The iPhone is much better at power management than any of the windows mobile phones or the N95.
Its nice to hear an opinion from someone who has used a symbian based phone on 3G. I always thought it was windows but a lot of tests I tried with the OS only helped a little and came to the conclusion along with other users that 3G was quite a drain...oh well at least i have a little more hope than before after hearing that.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Its nice to hear an opinion from someone who has used a symbian based phone on 3G. I always thought it was windows but a lot of tests I tried with the OS only helped a little and came to the conclusion along with other users that 3G was quite a drain...oh well at least i have a little more hope than before after hearing that.
3G definitely is a drain, there's no doubt, but I think some phones are better at power managment than others and that makes a difference. If you keep a constant data connection open then it will drain pretty quickly, like for instance if I keep an IM program running in the background while the phone is idle or I'm doing something else. This is why Apple refuses to allow the IM programs to constantly run in the background. I have a hunch it's also why they don't let multiple applications run at once as well. For whatever reason, I've had a much better experience with S60 and 3g than I have with Windows Mobile and 3g. I do remember Apple stating when the EDGE iPhone came out that they wouldn't release a 3g iPhone until they had the battery life with 3g at an acceptable level. If this one comes out and battery life sucks that will look really bad on them.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you have the BL-6F 1200 mAh 3.7v that is in the N95-3, it is way better than the iPhone's battery. I own both phones and switch my sim between the two almost daily. Don't get me wrong, I like my iPhone better than my N95, but there is no disputing that the N95 battery life is better than the iPhone.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
3G definitely is a drain, there's no doubt, but I think some phones are better at power managment than others and that makes a difference. If you keep a constant data connection open then it will drain pretty quickly, like for instance if I keep an IM program running in the background while the phone is idle or I'm doing something else. This is why Apple refuses to allow the IM programs to constantly run in the background. I have a hunch it's also why they don't let multiple applications run at once as well. For whatever reason, I've had a much better experience with S60 and 3g than I have with Windows Mobile and 3g. I do remember Apple stating when the EDGE iPhone came out that they wouldn't release a 3g iPhone until they had the battery life with 3g at an acceptable level. If this one comes out and battery life sucks that will look really bad on them.
That is very true, I have never purchased a product from Apple, laptop, ipod, iPhone, xserve raid that has not had a phenomenal battery life. I guess i am hinging on bad experiences in the past. But at the same time I am a bit torn and scornful at what they did to us in the past and the lack of basic features they have not gave us. Its a bit shakey for me because with all my computers / servers / any other product I've owned from Apple, they went out of their way to deliver top notch updates and service, hell the second week after I got my new macbook pro last year they gave a excellent firmware update ontop of 10.5.1 all in one. But with the iPhone I guess me and a few others seem a bit let down with the progress. Maybe this is why I am so skeptical to this issue. But enough rambling...The good words from a fellow like you ease the pain though .... lol. Well put though, you analyze the situation very well. I guess we will have to wait and see if your right. :)

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If you have the BL-6F 1200 mAh 3.7v that is in the N95-3, it is way better than the iPhone's battery. I own both phones and switch my sim between the two almost daily. Don't get me wrong, I like my iPhone better than my N95, but there is no disputing that the N95 battery life is better than the iPhone.
Yeah that is another thing I am worried about. With my old phone I ended up getting a bigger battery (which was so big it needed a new battery cover !) and a mobile AA usb charger. But wait! The iPhones battery is not user replaceable! That means the only way to do something like that would be to have something attached from the bottom port that covered the whole back and made it even bulkier or to carry about a mobile charger.

But you are right. I am just so impressed coming from a stock battery how much life I get right now.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hmm see i have had the opposite experience. Usually when i get home from work i have 3 bars on my n95-4. The iPhone was usually close to full. Music playback seems to not go quite as far on the n95. But one reason i may not get as much out of my n95 is i can multi task and i also stream from nokia internet radio and watch flash video in my browser among other things. I also use the gps a lot coupled
With nokia sports tracker to track and document my workouts. Never could do any of this on iPhone. That said im willing to bet the 3g will have a bigger battery than the original iPhone. Jobs said they wouldn't go 3g till they were able to manage the battery with 3g to where it will be acceptable. We shall see though

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
as i type this from my n95 now 2 bars and about to go dead :(
T.T ! I remember those dreadful times, they happened to me a many of a month. I haven't been an owner of the n95 but my friend has one and it is an awesome phone with WAY too many features. But that's a great thing for me because I believe you can never have to many features! :) Your right though, I know jobs wouldn't release the phone without upgrading the battery to a suitable level. What I want to know is what is this level it is at? How many hours do you think we can count on?

May 6, 2007
United States
Engadget confirmed there is an option to disable 3G on their hands-on review.
Very true, I have seen this hands-on.

I think Apple will do their best to make it the best battery life possible, so I wouldn't expect anything too horrible. It should be just a little bit under the original iPhone with moderate use.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
poor battery life is the reason why they didn't make iphon1 3G... stands to reason they would have solved that problem.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I was concerned about battery on my v1 but that hasn't let me down yet so I'll trust Apple with the 3G as well.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've worried about this ever since the rumors came out about a possible iPhone 3G model, but my daughter's 3G Samsung only has to be charged every two or three days. That's about the same that I get from my first gen iPhone. I know the iPhone will have many more features running than her phone, but if it will last two days for me, then I'll be cool with it.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
as i type this from my n95 now 2 bars and about to go dead :(
Strange. For some reason I thought that the new 8Gb N95-4 didn't come with the larger battery. Are you sure you have the BL-6 and not the BL-5?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Not really...it has a 3G on/off switch and Apple gave pretty good numbers about battery stats...and I don't use my phone like they do for testing the phones battery life and stuff so I think for how much I use the phone, it will be prettttty good.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Strange. For some reason I thought that the new 8Gb N95-4 didn't come with the larger battery. Are you sure you have the BL-6 and not the BL-5?
N95-4 comes with the 1200mah BL-6F
If I'm not mistaken the only one with the BL-5 is the original which is now known as the N95-1. I also had the N95-3 and it had the BL-6F as well.

The upcoming N96 is going back to the BL-5 as Nokia has stated that they have managed to tweak it to get better battery life out of the BL-5 than the current N95's get out of the BL-6.