Is It OK To Leave BlueTooth On?

Azteka

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
The 707
Is it? i hate turning it on n off everytime i take a cruise in my ride....

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i leave bluetooth on all the time - my battery can go a couple of days without recharging despite this. i used a treo 680 before that had miserable battery life such that i had to turn bluetooth off when i wasn't using it or my battery would drain by the end of the day. my iPhone's battery performs far better even though i use it more than i used my treo on a daily basis.

Joe Diver

Jul 15, 2007
I leave mine on 'cause it's paired with my iMac and I just keep wishing it would actually be useful in some way....and it makes me so mad that those 2 products don't play well together right now...

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, now you guys have me questioning my battery! When I leave mine on during the workday (and turn it off as soon as I get home), I usually barely make it through the whole day. In fact, last night I had to plug it in around 9pm because the battery was well under 10%.

Without bt on, the thing easily lasts all day with around 50% of the battery left. I keep WiFi on at home and intermittently at work. I have to use bt there because I don't get a signal in my office. I keep the phone near the front of the building and have my bt headset nearby so I can take calls.

I dunno, seems like bt drains my battery really quickly...

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Wow, now you guys have me questioning my battery! When I leave mine on during the workday (and turn it off as soon as I get home), I usually barely make it through the whole day. In fact, last night I had to plug it in around 9pm because the battery was well under 10%.

Without bt on, the thing easily lasts all day with around 50% of the battery left. I keep WiFi on at home and intermittently at work. I have to use bt there because I don't get a signal in my office. I keep the phone near the front of the building and have my bt headset nearby so I can take calls.

I dunno, seems like bt drains my battery really quickly...
I think you answered you own question in there. "because I don't get a signal in my office." Having a poor signal will kill your battery faster then anything as the phone is constantly trying to talk to the AT&T network. I have the same issue where I work. Crappys signal and poor battery life. When i am somewhere where there is great signal the battery last much longer. This is true for all phones, not just the iPhone BTW.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
You guys with dying batteries having a lot of usage during the day? Because I have light usage while im at work, and moderate after work. But I keep my BT and Wifi on all the time.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You guys with dying batteries having a lot of usage during the day? Because I have light usage while im at work, and moderate after work. But I keep my BT and Wifi on all the time.
Really subjective to determine usage comparatively. For example, I unplug every day around 730am and plug back in around 1030pm. I try not leaving on bt and wifi simultaneously because I usually don't have access to wifi where I use bt the most. If I forget and leave wifi on all day, and I use the iPod function moderately, I end up with critical (or close) battery by bed time. As far as talk time, I average around 1100 minutes per month. Not a huge amount by comparison. On the other hand, by monitoring wifi/bt switching, I usually end up with around 30-40% left at bedtime. Big difference. This is also including the half hour of reading news on the phone before plugging in and shutting down. I've totally drained the battery once - what a PAIN that was!