Is It Possible to Get Sidetone from an iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by ZigZag, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ZigZag

ZigZag New Member

I'm planning on purchasing a telephone headset for my iPhone 5S and I'm having a difficult time finding out if it is possible to get sidetone from an iPhone or headset. When a telephone produces sidetone, you can hear your own voice in the earpiece as you speak into the microphone, which is what most of us are used to with landline telephones. The question is, can the 5S produce sidetone and, if so, what headsets let the user control it? So far, in contacting the relevant companies, I've received contradictory information and an Apple rep who didn't know the answer. IF it's technically possible to produce with good sound quality, it should be the standard. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never heard of what you're asking about. Why not just get a Bluetooth headset?

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't know if it's possible to get sidetone with a cell phone. I haven't heard sidetone mentioned since before the cell phone age. I try to do a little research on that.

EDIT: Apparently, some cell models do, but a lot of others had the sidetones disabled. You might want to try to find out which models have sidetone enabled. The iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 had sidetone support, though.

#3 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I'm fairly certain that the iPhone provides sidetone when using a headset. I frequently use a headset with my iPhone, anything from a Bluetooth headset to the iPhone EarPods, and I hear sidetone.

Now, as far as being able to control the level of sidetone, I have never heard of a phone or headset that allows that. They may exist, but it wouldn't be for general public use, and would probably be amazingly expensive.

For those of you who don't know what sidetone is, it is the very low level of your voice, provided into your earpiece as you talk on the phone. Early research on telephone use found that, if users heard their voice being fed back into the earpiece as they spoke, it gave them a psychological reinforcement that the call was still connected.

Conversely, when sidetone is NOT provided by a telephone headset, you frequently have one or both callers on the call periodically asking, "Are you still there?"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. alicepattinson

Bronze

I don't get what you are asking please elaborate it so that you can get fast response. :)

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Everyone else seems to understand what the OP is asking. Please read our threads before replying.