Is it possible to restore a 6.1.1 phone to a 6.1.4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Duck1098, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

I have 2 iPhones 5s, one 6.1.4(my current phone) and one 6.1.1. I want to restore the 6.1.1 to my current phone and start using it but because it was jailbroken I don't have a way of just deleting everything so I can restore from iCloud. I can restore to some old restore dates but I need my current text messages.
    What other way is there? I'm trying to do this so I can have a jailbroken phone.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure what you're asking is if you can put the backup from iPhone #2 (the one that's running 6.1.4) on iPhone #1 (the one that's running 6.1.1). Is that correct? Yes, that would work fine with a backup that was made in iTunes. You can apply a backup to a different phone (without restoring the firmware) as long as the backup was created on the same firmware or a slightly older firmware. In iTunes on the computer, you would click restore backup and then select a backup from the drop down list.

However, it works differently with iCloud backups. To restore them you have to get to the setup screen on the iPhone, which you can get to by selecting "erase all content and settings." This option is DISABLED on jailbroken phones, so you would not be able to do that. You can still get to that screen by selecting "reset all settings," so I recommend trying that and seeing if it will let you use the backup.

crump-icloud-restorefromicloud.png

#2 Europa, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Resetting all settings didn't work either. I ended up backing up the 6.1.4 to the computer and than restoring the 6.1.1 with that and it worked. Thanks for your help.

4. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

One thing I noticed is that on the 6.1.1 phone Cydia has remained and it is already jailbroken even though it is a fresh restore. Not complaining.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You restored the backup, but not the firmware. That's why it's still on 6.1.1 and jailbroken.