Is it possible to save email on iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is it possible to save a email on the iPhone? If how?
Well... not really if you're talking about POP mail... though depending on your settings, it should stay on the server so when you look at it from home it will still be there.

I use IMAP for all my mail accounts and it's really the best way to go... that way it's always on the server until you choose to delete it (from wherever you are). I never delete mail from the iPhone unless it's junk. When I get home it's still there on my home computer for me to do what I want with it. If I leave it in the inbox, it's still on my iPhone too. You can also make IMAP folders to save e-mail in on the server for access from anywhere.

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
WOW this is the first time on this forum and I must say that you quick and consise answers are nice. What a pleasure to use a fourm that is civilized. Now DRabbit, thanks for your response. May I ask what is IMAP and how do I use it since I am on a pop3 account, if that matters. By the way I am on a macbook now.

Well... not really if you're talking about POP mail... though depending on your settings, it should stay on the server so when you look at it from home it will still be there.

I use IMAP for all my mail accounts and it's really the best way to go... that way it's always on the server until you choose to delete it (from wherever you are). I never delete mail from the iPhone unless it's junk. When I get home it's still there on my home computer for me to do what I want with it. If I leave it in the inbox, it's still on my iPhone too. You can also make IMAP folders to save e-mail in on the server for access from anywhere.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
WOW this is the first time on this forum and I must say that you quick and consise answers are nice. What a pleasure to use a fourm that is civilized. Now DRabbit, thanks for your response. May I ask what is IMAP and how do I use it since I am on a pop3 account, if that matters. By the way I am on a macbook now.
It all depends on if you email provider offers IMAP as an option. For example, .mac accounts (not free) utilize IMAP. I believe Yahoo does too, if you go for the paid version of their account. Gmail maybe too? You can also ask your ISP (if you get an email account from them) if they offer IMAP, and they'll give you the setup directions as well.

POP3 can work nice too as long as you make sure the server is saving your messages for at least a number of days... you'll have to delete a message you want gone in multiple spots though unless you sync your e-mail... but I know I had problems with that always functioning correctly (and not just on my iPhone but with my laptop too). IMAP is so much nicer. You might consider trying a .mac account for the trial period, or finding a free email provider that offers IMAP just to give it a try for a while.

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
OK great, I did subscribe to dotmac. Should I just start using that?

It all depends on if you email provider offers IMAP as an option. For example, .mac accounts (not free) utilize IMAP. I believe Yahoo does too, if you go for the paid version of their account. Gmail maybe too? You can also ask your ISP (if you get an email account from them) if they offer IMAP, and they'll give you the setup directions as well.

POP3 can work nice too as long as you make sure the server is saving your messages for at least a number of days... you'll have to delete a message you want gone in multiple spots though unless you sync your e-mail... but I know I had problems with that always functioning correctly (and not just on my iPhone but with my laptop too). IMAP is so much nicer. You might consider trying a .mac account for the trial period, or finding a free email provider that offers IMAP just to give it a try for a while.