Is it possible to sync music from multiple computers?

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
I searched on this topic, but it wasn't really answered. Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to sync music from multiple computers. I've heard two answers: hell no, and yes, with the latest iTunes, you can manually manage your music, even with other computer's music. Anyone who can confirm? Thanks a bunch.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
From what I know, you cannot sync music from two different computers. The iPhone will make you choose a computer to sync all main things such as video, music, contacts, ect.

homerj51

Feb 6, 2008
yes you can sync from 2 computers as long as both have the new version of iTunes. you must have "manually sync music" clicked then just pull the music you want into your phone :laugh2:

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
yes you can sync from 2 computers as long as both have the new version of iTunes. you must have "manually sync music" clicked then just pull the music you want into your phone :laugh2:
Thanks for correcting me. Thats going to help a lot. :laugh2:

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks! Hope.. really hope that's true. Any limit to how many computers? And what is the latest version of iTunes, 7.6?

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Is Manually Manage only available on the other computer, not the primary? I don't see it on my main laptop.

Jan 12, 2008
It should be available on the iTunes setting page of your iPhone. But, I have not been able to figure out how to do what you want. I wanted to be able to PLAY content of my iPhone on my laptop, when traveling, but I sync from my desktop at home. I can do that fine with my video iPod (and copy other files from different computers). With the iPhone, as soon as it knows you're on a different computer, even checking the "manual" checkbox, it will produce a dialog saying "you can only sync from one computer, if you continue, content of your iPhone will be erased. Click OK to continue". I paraphrased a bit, but you get the gist.

To get what I wanted to do, another poster turned me on to a neat trick. The only way iPhone knows you're on a different computer is the content of the iTunes "library file". On a PC, it's in the iTunes folder, and is the iTunes.itl file. I copied that from my desktop to my laptop, and got exactly what I want - my laptop "THINKS" all the library content is on it, but, it SEES the iPhone, and it's content.

If you figure out how to do what you want, post it back here.