Is it really worth it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I'm sure someone else has posted this type of thread, but I'm curious to whether the iPhone is worth the purchase. It has so many features I like, and the built in iPod will save me money.

But I've read that the iPhone has many flaws. Such as no MMS messaging, and no custom ringtones. Are these true, or have they been fixed?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Tell us what kind of phone you're coming from.

I came from an extremely capable smartphone that, technically, did more than the iPhone, and I couldn't go back to that thing if my life depended on it. The iPhone is a remarkable piece of kit whose user interface alone justifies its cost and shortcomings.... well, maybe not for everyone, but for me at least!

A truly amazing device.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Tmobile Dash. Windows Mobile OS.

It's a great phone, but has some annoying flaws. Which should be expected from Windows OS.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What do you use it for and what's annoying?

For me, I could live without almost everything on the iPhone other than the browser (and of course the Ipod). Even without Flash and Java etc.... it's crazy good. So much more enjoyable to use than, well... even my desktop sometimes! They just nailed it... and it will only get better.

Again, YMMV. It's all about the user experience.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's not worth it. It robs you of all your social life. You'd rather be playing with it than talk to your children or neighbors. It deprives you of romantic action, because you'd rather be checking your email and browse the web in bed than deal with anything else. For the same reasons, it deprives you of sleep and makes working the next day (which is really every day) difficult because of sheer exhaustion. Driving-and-texting is impossible, which means you have to stop so many times on the way to work (to answer the text messages) that you're late to everything. You'll spend all your spare time reading the boards and accumulating a ridiculous number of posts. Don't get it! Nothing else will matter to you. Relationships and precious time will be lost forever.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
What do you use it for and what's annoying?

For me, I could live without almost everything on the iPhone other than the browser (and of course the Ipod). Even without Flash and Java etc.... it's crazy good. So much more enjoyable to use than, well... even my desktop sometimes! They just nailed it... and it will only get better.

Again, YMMV. It's all about the user experience.
I use my current phone mainly for texting, browsing the web, listening to music.

The phone becomes very slow after hours of use, which makes me open the task manager to have to shut down every application, which becomes a nuisance. Also, it's been several times that I try to end a phone call, only for the end call button to take up to a minute to actually end the call. The web browser is slow and can't load most pages.

So is there a fix for the no custom ringtones, no video capture, and no mms on the iPhone?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah I had a WM5 phone (cingular 2125... wife has 3125 currently). I loved it, but I am aware of your issues. For task managing duties, I used Xbar 3 ... really helped manage memory much more quickly than the standard task manager.

The end button thing is worse on some WM phones than others. I guess the Dash is one of the "bad ones"

As far as Pocket Internet Explorer... yeah, it's slow. I always used Opera Mini (free and fast... though it's Java, which was annoying). But neither will get you Flash or Java (nor will the iPhone). But believe me, browsing on the iPhone is a whole 'nother world from browsing on a 2.2" screen with no vector zooming...

Finally yes, you can do custom ringtones with a stock iPhone now, video capture and MMS "soon" by all popular speculation.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
How do the custom ringtones work? Through iTunes or as a storage device on my computer?
through iTunes. Just change any sound file you want to use into a m4a format, rename it m4r, double-click it and it will import it directly into the ringtones' section. Then just sync.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Awesome.

How much do you guys pay a month? And what does your plan consist of?

I'm paying $100 a month on TMobile for 1000 minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, text and data.

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I just got mine days ago and...

I'm sure someone else has posted this type of thread, but I'm curious to whether the iPhone is worth the purchase. It has so many features I like, and the built in iPod will save me money.

But I've read that the iPhone has many flaws. Such as no MMS messaging, and no custom ringtones. Are these true, or have they been fixed?
I just pick mine up about 3 days ago and I've been reading about this phone since it was announced by Apple. I switched over from Verizon with a motorola Q. I'm a heavy email/exchange/text/web user. And the iPhone meets my needs and I couldn't be happier. This the most amazing device I've ever owned! It is a joy to watch this thing operate.

I just learned how to create custom ringtones without hacking/modding anything. As far as no MMS, I'm confident that Apple will release an update that will add that feature. However there is a workaround. You can email a picture to someone's mobile phone using their phone's email address based off of their service provider

check out this link

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-mms.4350/

I highly recommend this phone!

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Awesome.

How much do you guys pay a month? And what does your plan consist of?

I'm paying $100 a month on TMobile for 1000 minutes, unlimited nights & weekends, text and data.
It depends on the plan, which depends on the phone minutes. I think the cheapest is $59 a month. I myself pay 150 because I use it for work all the time. The data is always unlimited. Browse as much as you want for any plan.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Hayul YES! This phone has become my lifeline. I use it more and more everyday. Big deal on the mms! Custom ringtones can be done through iTunes with 1.1.2. No problem. No hacking either. Just a matter of following four or five steps to add them to your ringtones.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Absolutely.

It doesn't have flaws, it has a few setbacks that can be fixed with software updates. The amazing features of it easily overcome any disappointments you have.

And if you feel like it, you can jailbreak too.

Get it. Now. Go.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The biggest drawback to the iPhone is no MMS. It's kind of funny to have a camera and no MMS. But other than that (and no video) it's an amazing phone. I can't count the number of times I am using it during the day. Google maps is amazing and with all the iPhone interfaces for websites coming it, it really is becoming more and more amazing every day. I can't wait until the Februrary release of the SDK because I really think the phone is just going to explode even more.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
All the rate plans are here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

It looks like for $99 a month you could have 1350 rollover minutes (all the plans have rollover I think), unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited data, visual voicemail etc. You may prefer to save $20 and get the 900 rollover minutes a month -- depends on whether that 1000 minutes is enough for you or if you routinely go over. Frankly, I was surprised when I researched it but except for it having to be 2 years with no subsidy, the iPhone rate plans are great IMHO.

I've had my iPhone for less than a month, but I totally love it and concur with the other comments about the iPhone in this thread.

I'm on a much more modest family plan than what you would be looking for, but it meets my and my husband's needs (yes, his and hers iPhones!). I also take advantage of the free ATT to ATT mobile calling whenever I can. With so many people I know on ATT this is no small thing.

Good luck. It is such a personal decision and no one phone is for everybody, but for me, this is the most awesome phone I've ever seen.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I've also heard that there is no insurance available for this phone.

Is that true? Not that it bothers me, because if I get this phone I'll hold on to it with my life.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
It's not worth it. It robs you of all your social life. You'd rather be playing with it than talk to your children or neighbors. It deprives you of romantic action, because you'd rather be checking your email and browse the web in bed than deal with anything else. For the same reasons, it deprives you of sleep and makes working the next day (which is really every day) difficult because of sheer exhaustion. Driving-and-texting is impossible, which means you have to stop so many times on the way to work (to answer the text messages) that you're late to everything. You'll spend all your spare time reading the boards and accumulating a ridiculous number of posts. Don't get it! Nothing else will matter to you. Relationships and precious time will be lost forever.
Perfect!