Is it really worth the upgrade from iPhone 4 to 5?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
I have the iPhone 4 and am very content with its functionality and have never had an issue with this phone. I am due for an upgrade, but don't really know if I want to spend the money. What really interests me is the opportunity to trade my phone in for cash. All thoughts are appreciated.. How much would you think an iPhone 4 is worth? Always had it in a case, but the screen does have a small ding in it.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
I'm glad I upgraded from 4s to 5. Just the weight and thinness made all the difference for me plus the added screen real estate and how much faster it performs overall.

sjtracey

Aug 5, 2009
Orange County, CA
I just upgraded today from my 4, and I think it was definitely worth it. The 5 is so much lighter, but it doesn't feel monstrously larger. And it's FAST! I'm really glad I decided to make the switch. I actually traded in my 4 at Radio Shack (I'm too lazy to sell it on my own - LOL!) and they gave me $136 for it. Not bad. It was in really good shape. A few little scratches on the screen from my earrings, but other than that, nothing huge.

I'd say go for it!

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
If you're due for an upgrade I would do it. To say the least it's really light, the taller screen is nice to have, the thinness feels and looks nice, it's a quicker phone, and it's tougher.

I have a 5 now, but I do still have my iPhone 4 with a can of soda resting on it, it's completely smashed both at the front and back, the screen literally (and I do mean literally) has zero visibility now because it's way smashed. Dropped it carelessly a ton of times and once slammed it to the ground on purpose out of anger and that's what finally did it, before I did that though I did have the thought in the back of my mind that the 5 was coming out in a matter of weeks, so I said why not.

Because of your 'dinged' screen and I'm assuming you meant slight crack you might be able to sell your 4 for around $100 less compared to what you would normally find for a used 4 currently in the market. That's just a guess with the presumption that screens can be repaired for around $70 from a third party which the buyer would most likely take into consideration before buying an iPhone 4 with such damage. Maybe the cost of repairs and parts will go down now because there's a new model? I don't know. A confirmation would be nice.

jcmitchell5

Contributor
Silver
Feb 19, 2010
Arkansas
Do eet! The change from 4 to 5 is a massive leap for mankind! (Or something like that) ha. The speed alone is worth it. This baby fast! Siri is just a beautiful plus to it all!

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Definitely do it. I sold my iPhone 4 for $245 and paid 324 for the new one with tax. You immediately notice the speed and lightness. I'm extremely pleased with it.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
If you're not sure yet go down to your local Apple store or Best Buy and compare the 2 to see if it worth updating. It's easy to get caught up in the forums and have higher expectations than you normally would so I would highly recommend making a decision after comparing your 4 to the 5. I upgraded from a 4 as well and both my wife and I are very happy that we upgraded.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
If you're not sure yet go down to your local Apple store or Best Buy and compare the 2 to see if it worth updating. It's easy to get caught up in the forums and have higher expectations than you normally would so I would highly recommend making a decision after comparing
This!

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
If you're not sure yet go down to your local Apple store or Best Buy and compare the 2 to see if it worth updating. It's easy to get caught up in the forums and have higher expectations than you normally would so I would highly recommend making a decision after comparing your 4 to the 5. I upgraded from a 4 as well and both my wife and I are very happy that we upgraded.
Ignore the man behind the curtain. Buy the 5!