Is It Really Worth Upgrading From the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Prozium12, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

But can someone who has the 5s who can be subjective tell me is it really worth upgrading from the iPhone 5 or am I better off letting my current 2 yr contract run out and wait for the ip6.
    Yes it's faster and has fingerprint scanner but are these really enough to upgrade my current ip5 32gb is like new and I've got io7, so anyone

Sent using iCafe app

2. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I would not do an early upgrade for the 5S, I had an upgrade available and no intention of leaving AT&T and will have another upgrade available when the 6 comes out, so for me it was worth it. Most of the upgrade is under the hood, and with the animations the same for both phones...it is hard to see a speed difference, but I do notice it in some applications.

3. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I think I will wait for the ip6, thanks for info

Sent using iCafe app

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'll be subjective as you asked. THere is VERY NOTICEABLE speed difference. Also, the new M7 chip which will make for some kick-@$$ fitness apps. Not to mention, you can get it in GOLD!

UPGRADE NOW!

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I am. The sale of my iPhone 5 basically pays the early upgrade price for the 5s. I get a free iPhone every year.

6. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

Ditto, it's a no brainer

7. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

If you need more memory, that's 1 issue, i wnt from 4s to 5s, so for me it was worth it, from a 5 it might not.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's worth it. You mentioned the processor and scanner, but not the camera enhancements. There are several of them in the iPhone 5S that you'll miss out on if you don't upgrade. You can get partial subsidy with AT&T every year. If you sell your old phone on Craigslist you can maximize your profit. A 5S shouldn't cost you more than $150 out of pocket. The phone will be worth more next year, so you can do this again and it all evens out. If you didn't upgrade, you two-year-old phone wouldn't be worth as much next year so you'd still pay some out of pocket (about $50) to upgrade with full subsidy. Like Jerome just said, upgrading every year is a no brainier.

9. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I guess I didn't think about selling the one you have now, cause I never get to, This is the first year I get to sell one, and the one I'm selling isn't even year before lasts model. I have to pass mine down every year, but I end up with a full subsidy every year too.

10. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

I usually sell mine on eBay. The iPhone 5 16gb are going for approx $400 the last time I checked. If you take away the eBay/paypal fees which are a little over 9%, that adds up to around $360. So I usually get the partial subsidy and pay $450+ $36 activation (what a ripoff that is !) and end up paying a little more than $100 to upgrade.
    This year I am actually making money since I am on a family plan and using my kids upgrade eligibility.

11. B-DoGGy

B-DoGGy Member
    Bronze

My last iPhone was the 4s, I used a GS3 for the life of the iPhone 5 so I am very much looking forward to the 5s.

Like a lot of others have said, just upgrade every year and you'll always have the latest and greatest for minimal out of pocket.

12. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Ok I appreciate all your advice but I'm in the UK and the ip5 I have is locked to the 3 network and would fetch more if I unlocked it is there anybody out there who can recommend a site that can unlock my ip5.

Sent using iCafe app

13. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry to butt in, but would members say that upgrading from the 5 to 5c is a good choice, too? Curious...

Sent using iCafe app

14. B-DoGGy

B-DoGGy Member
    Bronze

It would be more of a side grade than upgrade, really the only difference is the housing.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. That's not an upgrade. It's the same phone with a plastic housing. The 5C is for people upgrading from a 4S or lower or something other than the 5.

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I updated to the 5s from a 5 and I notice a significant difference in speed all across the OS and the fingerprint scanner is wayyyyyyy more useful that I thought it'd be. Camera is a huge improvement too. I say go ahead and upgrade.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Read his post again. :)

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Oopssss lol sorry, didn't notice the "c" :)

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's those darned lower-case suffix letters.:D

20. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I almost feel like I have an inferior device...

Sent using iCafe app