Is it safe to make the switch now?

I've been on the sidelines waiting for the opportunity to switch our BB Pearls to the new iPhones. I almost decided against making the switch due to the reception problems that many were reporting.

I have been out of touch with the progress being made with those initial issues. Have they been resolved, and is it safe to make the switch now? Any news on a possible 32GB version?

I am not very tech-savvy, so if there are still significant issues, I'll be better off waiting!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The 2.1 firmware update greatly improved 3G reception, dropped calls, and many other bugs. However, it would probably to be safe to wait for a 32 GB version - some of the hardware may of been modified by then to improve 3G reception.

The 2.1 firmware update greatly improved 3G reception, dropped calls, and many other bugs. However, it would probably to be safe to wait for a 32 GB version - some of the hardware may of been modified by then to improve 3G reception.
Any rumors as to when a 32 GB might be coming out?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nobody really knows. It's expected it will come sometime soon (before the next iPhone) but as for an exact date, there aren't really any guesses.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I've been on the sidelines waiting for the opportunity to switch our BB Pearls to the new iPhones. I almost decided against making the switch due to the reception problems that many were reporting.

I have been out of touch with the progress being made with those initial issues. Have they been resolved, and is it safe to make the switch now? Any news on a possible 32GB version?

I am not very tech-savvy, so if there are still significant issues, I'll be better off waiting!
What network are your BBs operating on? If AT&T, then you should get comparable network coverage. Remember, the Pearl is not a 3G device. Exchange support is still a little flaky for the iPhone. Both the Pearl and iPhone are consumer-centric devices. Either one should be a match for the other.

You asked about 32gb iPhones. Why would a businesss environment be concerned with only 16 gB of storage if email, internet surfing, phone are the primary tools needed?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
It depends on what is most important to you in a phone. When I got my Pearl, I thought it was awesome. Then I tried an iPhone and had to have one. (I actually got a Pearl trying to convince myself I did not want an iPhone. I was wrong).

If you must have emails immediately I think the Pearl (or any BB is good). But my iPhone gets me my mac and gmail pretty fast. The app store has made the iPhone function better for me, but it does not have the same calendar and to-do's integrated in the cal function like the BB. I thought this would come with the app store, but it did not since Apple will only let the developers do so much.

I am happier to use the iPhone, and that is important to me. Every time I use it I think "I am so glad I bought this thing." Life is short. Enjoy every moment.

We were rear-ended on Friday. My husband was driving and I was using my iPhone. The jar of the smash made my 3G fly from my hand onto the floor. I was more worried about my phone than my car... (after my kids, of course). Car and kids and phone are fine, BTW.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
some of us are having serious battery issues with the update. Some others are having problems with email. I have had a lot of problems with this phone recently

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
some of us are having serious battery issues with the update. Some others are having problems with email. I have had a lot of problems with this phone recently
I only use up the battery when I use the phone a lot. Nothing changed for me on the update. My email is also functioning the same. No problems with macmail or gmail. I have not used yahoo mail because I really need to use yahoo small businesss email which you have to set up as a POP account. And that did not work well at all ever. Yahoo got my bizmail all messed up when I was singed in on the phone and on the computer. I am afraid to try that again since I need my bizmail to work.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
What happened to you?

The only problem I have ever had with my iPhone 3G is the silver Apple of death. It got fixed with a simple restore.

I have never had reception problems, bad lag problems, e-mail problems, etc.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I guess I'm fortunate aswell because I don't have too many problems either. Also if you buy the phones now then you will have had a lot more time for them to change things in the build. I would go for it. I have tried to use several BB and I can't say that I like them.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I maybe use the phone for 3 hrs in a day, but the usage meter continues to grow when in sleep mode. I have tried soft reboot, hard reboot, restore as new phone. I have turned off push and fetch. One minute the phone works perfectly, the next minute it is hot to the touch and the battery meter drops very quickly. I did not have this problem before 2.1. All I had I had problems with before was text lag and crashing apps. This sucks

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I switched from a pearl to the iPhone. I did the 2.1 update the day it came out and things have been better... not great but better.

After 2.1 update, I took the iPhone to the Apple store due to continued dropped calls. They told me I was having 12% dropped calls. Replaced the phone for that problem and email connectivity problems.

I am still having dropped calls, the email is better but I still have some moments of frustration. I was in Apple and I am down to 11% dropped calls now. :mad: This all in a great 3G coverage area.

Even with the dropped calls, I would have a hard time going back to the pearl. I really like the iPhone user interface.

Tg

Sep 21, 2008
I can second that, reception is OK by now. And handling is far superior to BBs... IMHO:)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
There is no best time to get new electronics. There is always something new and better coming out so just choose and accept what you're getting.

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I switched from a pearl to the iPhone. I did the 2.1 update the day it came out and things have been better... not great but better.

After 2.1 update, I took the iPhone to the Apple store due to continued dropped calls. They told me I was having 12% dropped calls. Replaced the phone for that problem and email connectivity problems.

I am still having dropped calls, the email is better but I still have some moments of frustration. I was in Apple and I am down to 11% dropped calls now. :mad: This all in a great 3G coverage area.

Even with the dropped calls, I would have a hard time going back to the pearl. I really like the iPhone user interface.

Tg
I have had a much better experience with the 3G with the 2.1 update but still have some dropped calls here in south Denver. I’ll have full 5 bars of 3G, talking to someone on a hard-line and it just drops without me moving or anything. This happens, about once every 3 or 4 days with 7 to 12 calls a day. Not sure if that’s normal for 3G never happened on EDGE only from the same place. In any case, it will last all day so that’s good and the 3G is much faster for the email I get. (About 30-40 messages a day) Other then the drops, everything else runs smooth and fast so I’ve been happy with the move from the v1 to 3G phone. Oh, I also use to lose connection every time I drove from a 3G to EDGE signal and now it will keep going without any issues.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
it's a pain but turn off 3G when making calls and see if talks problems persist. I don't live in a 3G area but I noticed when traveling through 3G areas that I would have problems as well. I'm not to impressed with the calling stability of the 3G network but the Internet speeds are nice.

djkeev

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Go ahead get the phone, I had a Black Jack, same reason as another posted, to convince myself I didn't really need an iPhone but I too was wrong.

Like has already been pointed out, if you wait for the newest and best, it is obsolete in a matter of weeks anyway.
Make yourself happy and go get your phone!

Dave

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm just curious, when you guys say "dropped call", how do you know it's your end of dropped call? (unless the other end is landline)...

I rarely have dropped call, but once in a while... and I called right back and apologize me dropped the call, but my friend said sorry he dropped the call, too.... (he is with t-mobile and use razor).

So now I'm curious... people complain here with dropped call, I wonder how many times is iPhone end, or the other end...