is it safe to unlock the iPhone now

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nickah9

Nov 1, 2007
is it safe or is it not i really have always wanted to put new apps on my iphhone but am always scared its going to not work agn please help

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
its safe...i haven't had any problems, none whatsoever... and if anything you would just restore it and thats it... but i haven't had to do that...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
is it safe or is it not i really have always wanted to put new apps on my iphhone but am always scared its going to not work agn please help
Safe? Like it might blow up in your face or start emitting radiation or something? What are you talking about?

Try searching this site first please. stupid questions = stupid answers

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
All right, I'll be the nice guy who doesn't tell the new dude to search...

First of all, I'm going to assume that by Unlocking you meant Modding. Quick vocab rundown:

Unlocking: Unlocking is hacking the phone so that it can operate on another carrier than the one you're strapped with.

Modding: Installing additional applications on your phone.

As for safe, there has been and always will be some sort of danger in unlocking and/or modding. Because anything you do with them isn't necessarily made to work with the iPhone, there's always a slight chance that you will brick your phone, or as Apple puts it, make it permanently inoperable.

However, in most cases, if anything goes wrong, you can Restore in iTunes. Restoring will return the iPhone to it's original settings and software, and will delete anything you have Installed.

Note: While modding can be completely undone with Restoring, unlocked phones can not be restored. To re-lock them, you will have to use a program called Revirginizer.

If you're using Firmware 1.1.1, navigate here to jailbreak (modding, NOT unlocking) your phone.

- John

siantslil23

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
well i think its safe... i didn't have any problems with mine except once which was long time ago..i downloaded the iblackjack and my phone went crazy...

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yeah its safe i have a ton of things on mine and don't have any problems at all except when i had iradio but since i got rid of that its been super :)

camuts

Nov 28, 2007
is it true that if you buy an iPhone, register it, acquired 2year contract from AT&T
you can go to them and ask them to unlock the iPhone for you legaly?
i know it sounds dumb and stupid but everything is since you have a quad
band cell that you cant use somewhere else like different country just because
AT&T said so.

just a question.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
well short answer No. They will not do that for you at all. Ive called them about this as well. But there are several apps out there that unlock the phone for you.