Is it safe to upgrade from 1.0.2 ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 16, 2007
I haven't been following the latest firmware upgrades etc...so I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the latest version. My iPhone was jailbreaked awhile ago and I have a bunch of 3rd party apps etc on it.
Problem is that lately my phone has been freezing occasionally and when I'm online my phone will just bump me offline and go to the main screen.
I can live without some of the apps (assuming that upgrading will cause me to lose them).

How do I go about upgrading safely (I can't end up with a bricked phone)?

Sep 29, 2007
If you phone isn't unlocked you can download firmware 1.1.1 which a link is available in the sticky in the iPhone modification section. Place iPhone is restore mode by holding down the power and home button for 10 seconds and then release power button while holding the home button. This will place it into restore mode, after this click ctrl restore and find your way to iPhone firmware 1.1.1.ipsw and click on it. Then it will restore to 1.1.1 and when there you may need to kick it up using independece.

From 1.1.1 direct yourself to www.jailbreakme.com and your done. If you want to continue to 1.1.2 there is a guide in iPhone modifcations section.

Dec 15, 2007
Man, I'm glad u changed your mind about deleting your account you really make this site that much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 16, 2007
Will I lose all my calendar events, music etc? Do I need to sync my phone with iTunes(since I haven't synced in months) before I try to upgrade?
I don't restore using iTunes? In the meantime I'll reread the link u provided.
The fact that I had the phone jailbreaked before won't brick it?

Dec 16, 2007
I hate to be thick, but i can't find the 1.1.1 download. Also..where I don't don't know what you mean by click ctrl restore...where is the "ctrl restore" located. I'm doing this on a PC.
Am I upgrading through iTunes or some other way? Can I just click on "restore" in iTunes then upgrade through iTunes? or is that gonna brick my phone because of the previous jailbreak? BTW: My phone hasn't ever been unlocked.