Is it the name that gets people passing?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Mar 13, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

There's a lively thread here about whether people are buying the iPhone 5S or waiting for the iPhone 6. I wonder if we put too much into the naming of these devices. When Apple moved the iPad to the new iPad, I thought they would do something similar with the iPhone. Here's the new iPhone and here's why it's important. We haven't even seen the iPhone 5S and people are bailing already.

For me, it's the name. I had some of the same feelings about the iPhone 4S, until I had it in my hands. LTE and that camera. Those alone were worth the upgrade.

I think to some extent it's devices in general. There were plenty of meh's to go around when the iPhone 5 was announced, despite it's bigger display, something which was very much in demand.

If Apple had called the iPhone 5 simply iPhone and we were awaiting the new iPhone (2013), would there be all of this negative conjecture?

Discuss.

#1 chris, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The same design as the previous model is a deal-breaker for many no matter how nice the old design is. Some people just need it to look different from the phone they already have. I agree that LTE and the camera are worth upgrading to the iPhone 5. The faster processing speed and bigger screen size alone were enough for me to justify the early upgrade pricing. Selling the one-year-old iPhone takes care of most of the out-of-pocket cost anyway. I don't mind having the same design for a couple years in a row; the upside is that the previous year's cases will work on the new model. I don't care about the name, either. I gave up on it making sense last year. I accept that the eighth generation iPhone will likely be called the iPhone 6.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I really don't feel like there need to be significant hardware changes every time. Performance upgrades, faster cellular data, better cameras are all great - but I don't feel as if Apple (or any smartphone company) needs to have some amazing new hardware design every single year. By now, I think improvements to iOS are much more pressing / should have much more impact than hardware changes.

I feel the same about the iPad. The big iPad needs to get a little lighter and slimmer, the iPad mini needs retina display added - beyond that I don't need either of them to have any big design changes right now.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We get roughly the same amount of hardware upgrades (processor, camera, RAM) every year, but I hear people say "it's the same phone" a lot when it's "just" an S upgrade. A change in design is very important to a large percentage of people, but I would much rather see new iOS features like in-app/lockscreen texting and task switcher/multitasking improvements added in iOS 7 than a design change in the next phone. That being said, hardware improvements are just as important - I probably wouldn't upgrade if it had the same processor and camera.

5. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I like upgrading because I can and because I like the faster processor and more memory.

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

For us Snowtroopers, the version of the iPhone has little bearing on upgraditis.
    It's more a magical combination of what is likely to be included on the software and design side, vs what is currently being used, and if those changes warrant having a likely unjailbreakable device for an extended period of time....

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Whether or not they show anything substantial such as the phone actually doing something besides blowing holes in walls and inserting biomechanical adjuncts into the user, the Android ads catch the eye because they're high-tech and colorful. Apple always shows what their devices can do, but the same white-themed ads can get bland after a time. I think Apple needs to spice up their ad campaign.

8. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

For me, not at all. I just refuse to pay any upgrade fees by upgrading early with AT&T. My 5 will be just as functional when the 5S comes out as it was when it was brand new. If my upgrade cycle fell on the S model releases, I'd still feel the same way. :)

Every 2 years is peachy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Ever since Apple decided to call the iPhone 5 "iPhone 5" names have become arbitrary and meaningless for all intensive purposes. I'm quite content with my 4S. Do I wish I had the 5? Absolutely, but it's not a priority like upgrading from the 3G to the 4 was. I will definitely upgrade to the next iPhone and, as already mentioned, I hope it's a "5S" and not a "6 redesign" because of the case/accessory support already in place.

While I've maintained my first name, I don't have the same second and last names that I was born with. My identity is the same regardless of what it says on my papers. An iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone, to a certain extent, as long as the pocket or belt clip it sits in makes a happy home for it.

I can see myself staying on the "S" cycle for practical purposes. That stance could change with the next keynote or if my girlfriend decides she wants to abandon her Android device. To me it's about timing and priorities and nothing to do with the name...as long as it starts with an i.

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sorry bud, hafta bust ya :D

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

And busted well! For real though, that was one of those sayings that I "misheard" at an early age and continued to use until I finally saw it in print one day. I still use it occasionally to see if my comrades are on their toes. ;)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'd glad you did it. I just saw it and would have felt bad (I'm using the vernacular here). Hard to believe, I know.

The one I like (and I think it's an autocorrect phenomenon) is "definitely" for "definitely".

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's just autocorrect because of spelling. I don't think anyone really pronounces it that way.

"All be damned" is right up there with "for all intensive purposes." Irregardless and squoze are pretty funny, too. ;)

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

We won't speak of "irregardless" and "squoze", will we? ;)

15. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I don't care what the next model is called. I am not looking at upgrading unless the new features are compelling enough for me to upgrade. Seems like AT&T really tightened up their upgrade policy for the release of the 5 so I probably wouldn't be eligible for a partial upgrade if the new model releases this summer.

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Surprised I beat you to it.
    You must have been preoccupied murdering someone's license plate...:D

definitely :D

17. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

:rolleyes:
    Devon Adalricus Jones · Virginia Commonwealth University
    It's not an English word. It's only recognized as a *dialectical past tense, like "I *goed* to the supermarket" or "He *swimmed faster than anyone". Don't get your hopes up squoze users... you're as embarrassing as the kids make you out to be.
    Reply · 2 · · January 30, 2012 at 8:05pm
    We now return you to your original programming.

18. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm glad you axed that question.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Intestine porpoises?

20. B89rent89