Is it worth it to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by php111, Feb 5, 2012.

1. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I have the iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1.

Is it worth it to jailbreak?

Would my phone be an untethered version?

What are the chances that would either be brick, or I'll be stuck at a black screen?

Will I lose my data such as my music?

Could I still get newer updates such as iOS?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It is worth for many many people, myself included.

You have an untethered jailbreak tool available.

There is very little chance you will brick your device.

You won't loose anything, you will only gain functionality.

You will be able to update your apps but you won't be able to update to a new iOS release until a new jailbreak tool is released.

3. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Thank you so much!

May you tell me where I could find that jailbreak tool? Or point me in the direction where I could find it?

Could I do this directly on me? My Internet got shut off on my PC for non payments.

4. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I meant could I do this directly on my phone? Lol. I just noticed what I wrote.

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

6. RonR6

RonR6 New Member

Yes you like all the things you can do if you jailbreak. Download the latest version of redsn0w, run it
    follow the directions when you run the program. Remove your pass code if you use one . I have a iPhone4 8gb and a windows laptop and did mine this way with no issues. You can search out some good YouTube vids that show you how to do it before you start. I think idownloads.com has the video links and redsn0w. Also watch a video on how to put your phone in DFU mode and try it a few times before you start, it will make the process very easy. Good luck :)

7. RonR6

RonR6 New Member

Don't forget backup in iTunes before you start to keep your music, pics and anything else you want to save.

8. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

See my answers above.

9. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Thank you all for the answers!

I do have a working PC, but my Internet was suspended due to non payment. Could I still do this without PC Internet? I don't have a wireless modem, cards, or adapters. My Internet is wired.

10. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I got my Internet turned on today.

I'm not good with DFU, and holding down certain buttons. I honestly hate that. I tried it last year, and I couldn't get out, so I had to restore. Does the app JailBreakMe still exist, and would that be an option? On my earlier iOS I used it without connecting to a PC. If I recall correctly that iOS was 4.2.8. I'm not sure if I could use it, or would it damage the device? If someone does recommend, could someone please give me a direct link into the download?

iPhonewarrior, I'm sorry to bring your name up. Please forgive me. With my disability, how hard was it for me? I was PMing you with a black in DFU. Correct? Sorry to bring your name up! I'm very sorry!

Someone please write me back ASAP! Anyone?

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Don't worry about mentioning my name...

Entering DFU mode through Redsn0w is quite easy once you've done it a few times. Redsn0w will count you down and clearly show which buttons to press. Redsn0w will also indicate (pretty much straight away) when there is a problem.

JailbreakMe does exist, but it wont jailbreak your particular device/firmware combination.

Now that you have internet again, you can choose between Greenposi0n or Redsn0w <-- my preferred jailbreak tools.

Make sure that you back everything up through iTunes/iCloud first, then attempt the jailbreak. I'm sure someone here, if not myself, will guide you through it, if you get stuck.

12. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Thank you so much!

It didn't work.

After the progress with Redsn0w, I got a message in Redsn0w stating a hint to select extras by selecting my firmware, and sometimes that will do the trick. What's that all about? How can I do it? Will that work? Where is my firmware located at?

13. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you have a decent connection you could simply download the 5.0.1 .ipsw file and save it to your desktop.

Which version of Windows are you using?

14. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Or should I be hiding in a DOS shell? LOL. I am downloading the ipsw firmware right now, but I'm not sure if it's a decent site. I found it in Google.

1.) Do you have untethered instructions to jailbreak using the ipsw?

2.) I know it's very hard for me to understand. After jailbreaking, are we still able to help me with the apps in a new thread?