Is it worth purchasing a warranty?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iWantone

Jun 18, 2007
Actually a couple questions. I keep hearing $500 and $600 thrown around and I know those are the definite prices for the 4gb and 8gb but what about the carrying case or screen protectors, tax, and the Warranty for the phone. Will the phone end up being $800? Is it worth it to get the warranty? Sure, it's a really nice phone and if anything ever DID happen to it, you would want the warranty...but..I don't know. I'm not sure if I want to pay another $150 for a warranty. (Only reason I say $150 is because that's what my MDA would have cost if I bought the warranty for it. I've never had a problem or damaged my MDA, though, in the couple years that I have had it).

Probably already been answered but I couldnt find anything and just wanted other people's thoughts. Thanks!

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Actually a couple questions. I keep hearing $500 and $600 thrown around and I know those are the definite prices for the 4gb and 8gb but what about the carrying case or screen protectors, tax, and the Warranty for the phone. Will the phone end up being $800? Is it worth it to get the warranty? Sure, it's a really nice phone and if anything ever DID happen to it, you would want the warranty...but..I don't know. I'm not sure if I want to pay another $150 for a warranty. (Only reason I say $150 is because that's what my MDA would have cost if I bought the warranty for it. I've never had a problem or damaged my MDA, though, in the couple years that I have had it).

Probably already been answered but I couldnt find anything and just wanted other people's thoughts. Thanks!

Cingular doesn't really offer "warranties." You can insure the phone for I think $7/mo extra. You may be able to purchase Applecare (expect a price a bit higher than the Applecare for iPod price) through Apple for the phone, but that wouldn't cover the same ground as insurance would. This hasn't been disclosed yet, and I don't know offhand, though i could probably find out if people really cared about this.

Tax depends on your state. A person in a state with 6% tax could expect to pay $530 outright for the 4gb and $636 for the 8gb.

A front shield from bestskinsever is about $6. Carrying cases, well, if you get the cingular ones, expect $30ish. If you wait and get one online, could be more, could be less.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Welcome to EiP!

The accessories you purchase will determine your end price on the phone. If you walk in and buy the phone, you initial expense should only be the cost of the phone, activation fee (if you're a new customer) and the sales tax. Any data plan charges will be added to your first bill.

As far as insurance, I don't look for At&t to offer it initially. We hear rumors that Apple will offer AppleCare, but that just covers warranty issues and not breakage or abuse.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Speaking of warranties does anyone know if exteneded warranties offered by credit cards can be applied to mobile phones? I will have to read the fine print on my credit card agreement, I know some of them specifically exclude electronics.

- SR

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
Cingular doesn't really offer "warranties." You can insure the phone for I think $7/mo extra. You may be able to purchase Applecare (expect a price a bit higher than the Applecare for iPod price) through Apple for the phone, but that wouldn't cover the same ground as insurance would. This hasn't been disclosed yet, and I don't know offhand, though i could probably find out if people really cared about this.

Tax depends on your state. A person in a state with 6% tax could expect to pay $530 outright for the 4gb and $636 for the 8gb.

A front shield from bestskinsever is about $6. Carrying cases, well, if you get the cingular ones, expect $30ish. If you wait and get one online, could be more, could be less.
You won't need a front shield, as the screen will be made of a tempered glass, which will be close to scratch-proof. But to accessories, I know I will be buying at least a skin-tight case for the rest of the device, and the Apple Bluetooth headset.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Speaking of warranties does anyone know if exteneded warranties offered by credit cards can be applied to mobile phones? I will have to read the fine print on my credit card agreement, I know some of them specifically exclude electronics.

- SR
This largely depends on who the provider for the card is, what bank it is issued to, and probably what "level" the card is. American express has some of the best warranty coverage out there, but it varies greatly depending on what class of card you have. I'd try calling your bank, or reading the fine print on your original terms and conditions statement. Alternatively, you can also call visa/mastercard/discover/amex/diners club/etc. to get more specific information.