Is it worth upgrading?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Hello all! I have been reading quite a bit on this site and I haven't found the answer to my question. I have version 1.0.2 and I know that 1.1.2 is out. Is it worth updating my software to the newest version? What are the pros and cons of upgrading to 1.1.2. My biggest thing is the ringtones with my contacts. I currently use iBrickr to upload all my ringtones. I don't really use the NES roms because its not super easy to use on the phone.

So, should I stick with 1.0.2 or update to 1.1.2?

Thanks!

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I vote - Update!

If you move all your ringtones into iTunes you could possibly do away with the need to jailbreak then. Imagine being able to look forward to new software releases and always have the latest features in iPhone and iTunes.

Hacking the phone about is great if you want the thrill of doing the job or have an essential tool you can't live without, but I think the vast majority of people really want a reliable, up-to-date phone - and the only way that can happen is to be keeping up with Apple's development.

Just my penn'worth

Brill

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Update - it's good to have the latest firmware.

But be sure that you do it right - if you don't, you'll be stuck with a stock, unmoddable, 1.1.2.

First install Okto Prep from Installer. Then there's a big process of upgrading and restoring and whatnot. There are several guides around here, and you would best consult them instead of me.

- John

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois

But be sure that you do it right - if you don't, you'll be stuck with a stock, unmoddable, 1.1.2.

First install Okto Prep from Installer. Then there's a big process of upgrading and restoring and whatnot. There are several guides around here, and you would best consult them instead of me.
You arent stuck with 1.1.2, but it makes it more difficult since you have to downgrade.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007

I went to install Oktoprep from Installer and I got an Error. It says, "Main script execution failed!" Does this mean that I have to restore my phone? If I restore my phone through iTunes, it will automatically upgrade my phone to 1.1.2. Any suggestions? I did read online and wow is it a process to get back to 1.0.2. I don't know if I should just update to 1.1.2.

Help!

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
I am in the same situation I have 1.0.2 and want to keep my current setup...
please advise on the best way
I am in a worse situation. I did the iTune update to 1.1.2, and now my sim card isn't being recognized and I can't restore my phone. I think I will need to make a stop at the Apple store.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
IMHO, just say "no" to 1.1.2 and do the upgrade to 1.1.1 only.
1.1.1 has easy jailbreak, ringtones, etc. for now, 1.1.2 has no "must have" features (unless you NEED the foreign keyboards).

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Well, I have bad news! I went to the Apple store and everything was good with the phone. All my info matched so I thought that I would be getting a new phone. Well, they did there diagnostic check and they saw that the phone was unlocked. Now, I have only had my phone for two months, I don't recall ever unlocking it. I must have downloaded something accidentally to unlock it. I never wanted to switch from AT&T. So the guy pretty much said to call up Apple and talk to them. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. If not, looks like I'll be buying a new one.

I wonder, if they wont give me a new one, and I buy a new one, could I sell this phone that I have? I have tried my old SIM card and did not work, so temporarily I am using an older Cingular phone.

Thanks.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
True, but if you plan to downgrade, there's no point in upgrading.

- John
no, you have to install oktoprep with the 1.1.1 firmware before you can run the jailbreak software on 1.1.2.

what he was saying is that if you upgrade without installing oktoprep, then you have to downgrade before you can have a jailbroken 1.1.2.

he wasn't talking about downgrading and leaving it there.

Denise

Aug 8, 2007
Hello all! I have been reading quite a bit on this site and I haven't found the answer to my question. I have version 1.0.2 and I know that 1.1.2 is out. Is it worth updating my software to the newest version? What are the pros and cons of upgrading to 1.1.2. My biggest thing is the ringtones with my contacts. I currently use iBrickr to upload all my ringtones. I don't really use the NES roms because its not super easy to use on the phone.

So, should I stick with 1.0.2 or update to 1.1.2?

Thanks!
I updated to 1.1.2 today and so far the iPhone is not losing its place in podcasts or Audiobooks as it used to, even after a sync! This alone, makes the update worth it to me. Also, the speaker volume is louder.

GLiMKIV

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
I updated to 1.1.2 today and so far the iPhone is not losing its place in podcasts or Audiobooks as it used to, even after a sync! This alone, makes the update worth it to me. Also, the speaker volume is louder.
Tell me about it. I like the update to, especially because u can downoad from iTunes if you choose to.