Is iTunes for PC different than the Mac version?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 12, 2007
I heard recently that the I tunes for the mac is much different than the I tune for pc.
What are the differences? I have heard that pc owners have problems trying to sync ipods, will iPhone users have the same problem?

ash

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Oklahoma
I've had my 30G iPod video for about a year now and I've never had a problem syncing on my PC. iTunes runs perfectly. Hope that helps! :laugh2:

rollerbones

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Ohio
I heard recently that the I tunes for the mac is much different than the I tune for pc.
What are the differences? I have heard that pc owners have problems trying to sync ipods, will iPhone users have the same problem?
I use a Macbook Pro, XP and a Vista machine and they all work and sync the same with no problems for me between any of them.

tasslehawf

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think they are talking about how much faster and fluid iTunes works on mac. It is a dinosaur on my pc. However the functioning is pretty much the same on both.
Between my machines iTunes runs about the same on diff. machines. If anything iTunes is just a lot more bloated than it used to be. Anyone remember Soundjam MP?

May 12, 2007
So no one has had any problems using Apple products with a pc?
I don't own an ipod, but I heard a lot of horror stories about ipods freezing and not syncing with pcs.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
I've had some issues with Vista, iTunes and my iPod. It wouldn't sync correctly. I eventually overcame this by upgrading to the latest version of iTunes, restoring my iPod and reloading everything on to it. Since then, its been fine.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
So would you guys say that Apple makes a pretty solid product?
Yes I would and I haven't had any problem with any of my devices on Vista. While some people had some problem with songs they had specifically purchased from the iTunes store initially, I think all these issues were addressed with iTunes 7.2.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
So no one has had any problems using Apple products with a pc?
I don't own an ipod, but I heard a lot of horror stories about ipods freezing and not syncing with pcs.
I've had a problem with my iPod once wher it wouldn't sync properly on my XP box. Big deal. I just reset the iPod and then it synced fine. To be honest though I've had similar problems with my Mac.

- SR

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
iTunes sometimes freezes my computer. Not completely more like hanging for a while. My computer is less than a year old.

Dartman

Jun 12, 2007
Do you think it will be possible to sync PIM apps (iCal and Address) on a Mac and then iTunes with a PC .. using the same phone?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Dartman: you mean syncing to multiple machines? I don't see why not... depending on the setup. (Most likely you won't be able to sync up multiple machines for music though.. historically, Apple only limited music syncing to 1 machine.)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Do you think it will be possible to sync PIM apps (iCal and Address) on a Mac and then iTunes with a PC .. using the same phone?
I don't think so. It appears that iTunes will do the sync process for your calendar and contacts, so IF your calendar and contacts aren't on the same computer as your iTunes, then it would be impossible.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I would be very surprised if contacts and calendars didn't go 2 ways... meaning the ones you add to your phone didn't get synced. It seems to Dartman wants to do this:

Mac -> iPhone -> Windows

which should be possible.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I hope so. My iTunes library is currently on XP but everything else is on MacOS. Until recently I had planned on buying a macMini to replace the XP box as my media center but now those funds will be going to iPhone. So yeah, I hope you can sync to multiple different OSs at once.

- SR