Is Jailbreaking still needed?

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
Will jailbreaking still be needed with 2.0 and the app store? Other then free apps what's the upside to the jailbreak.

MrMciPhone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Nothing besides customizing your icons and background, that's ALL I see beneficial for a jailbreak now.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
and apps that run in the background.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
if you wanna SSH (which i do all the time)

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Which is best if Im going to T-mobile to activate my iPhone :eek:

As in should I just update it to the official 2.0?
or
Jailbreak it, and never be-able to upgrade to 2.0?

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
This is what I need: Springboard background, 5-icon dock, bsd subsystem, ssh, apps running in the background or mess with system files (e.g. Intelliscreen, Kate, Customize, BossPrefs, MobileFinder), and basic apps that Apple will never allow: NES/SNES/GENESIS emulators, Terminal, quake4iPhone, and vlc4iPhone.

Those above things, to me, are more important than a few cool apps. I'll wait until a public 2.0 jailbreaking method is safe and easy. ALSO, and even more importantly, we'll have to see what jailbreak developers are able to do to port their 1.1.4 apps over to 2.0.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
ALSO, and even more importantly, we'll have to see what jailbreak developers are able to do to port their 1.1.4 apps over to 2.0.
Think you're spot on with that. That looks like it will be the harder / slower part of the equation, from what we've heard so far ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it saddens me to think that Apple will never allow custom wallpapers on the springboard... such a simple thing...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
after looking at all the apps in the appstore...i kinda want to go to 2.0 tomorrow

but i will wait *bites fingers*

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there are some very cool ones.

there are also a LOT of redundant ones. Like at LEAST seven tip calculators. It really is pathetic people use those things.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
There are a surprisingly large number of apps that used to be free in installer but you can find for a charge in the app store. There are some apps still not covered by the app store so jailbreak for me is welcome. I did risk upgrading from my jailbroken 1.1.4 yesterday to 2.0. Worked like a charm and I am glad that I did it. I only really miss one app, and it's not that big of a deal.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Is jailbreaking still needed, absolutely. I use SSH, I make my own themes. And I want to have control over my phone. I won't upgrade until I can safely jailbreak 2.0. My thoughts anyway. ;)

Is jailbreaking still needed, absolutely. I use SSH, I make my own themes. And I want to have control over my phone. I won't upgrade until I can safely jailbreak 2.0. My thoughts anyway. ;)
i completely agree with you! i like to have my phone modded so it looks different im just waiting for that jailbreak!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i completely agree with you! i like to have my phone modded so it looks different im just waiting for that jailbreak!
I have the 3G, so I'm just waiting for the JB method to be released. App wise - I only like the taskbar notifier. After that, just skinning is what I'm after. Outside of those, I'll stick with official apps.

I have the 3G, so I'm just waiting for the JB method to be released. App wise - I only like the taskbar notifier. After that, just skinning is what I'm after. Outside of those, I'll stick with official apps.
they sold out in Bakersfield so now I gotta wait for a new shipment but yes when I get the 3G I hope there's a jailbreak out for it...

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I went into the ATT store this afternoon. There was hardly anybody there? They have long since sold out. So I played with the display 3G for awhile. I do like the look and feel of it. The plastic is going to work out. But I just can not live with the stock icons, and the absences of of my custom backgrounds.

So when we can jailbreak, I will definitely get one. :cool:

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
YES considering I pretty much don't need any apps in the app store, some are nice, but I want orb, I want a voip app, and both are missing so I can't be too excited over a few free apps that don't compare to those two for me.

piyf420

Bronze
Jun 19, 2008
Hopefully they can jailbreak the crippled video codecs. Any kind of video I throw in iTunes it won't go in.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hopefully they can jailbreak the crippled video codecs. Any kind of video I throw in iTunes it won't go in.
right click on the video, and select "convert selection for ipod/iPhone".