Is Leopard 10.5.6 safe to use with pwned iPhone?

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
I have 2G iPhone pwned v2.1. I'm not sure whether to update to 10.5.6 if I want to keep syncing my iPhone using iTunes 802 without losing its pwned setup.
Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You can still sync with it, but if you ever need to Restore, you won't be able to re-jailbreak on 10.5.6.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
You can still sync with it, but if you ever need to Restore, you won't be able to re-jailbreak on 10.5.6.
Is that because of PwnageTool and its custom ipsw? Would I still be able to jailbreak/unlock with QuickPwn on 10.5.6? Or do you mean I'll NEVER be able to jailbreak/unlock on 10.5.6 unless some other method is found or pwning is developed to work with 10.5.6?
Thank you.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Is that because of PwnageTool and its custom ipsw? Would I still be able to jailbreak/unlock with QuickPwn on 10.5.6? Or do you mean I'll NEVER be able to jailbreak/unlock on 10.5.6 unless some other method is found or pwning is developed to work with 10.5.6?
Thank you.
It's something about the computer or QuickPwn not allowing DFU mode which is necessary to jailbreak an iPhone.

I know on 10.5.6 there's a way to fix it, but it requires replacing some files on your computer. I know Lincoln can help you with this part.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
It's something about the computer or QuickPwn not allowing DFU mode which is necessary to jailbreak an iPhone.

I know on 10.5.6 there's a way to fix it, but it requires replacing some files on your computer. I know Lincoln can help you with this part.
OK thanks. Appreciate your help.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
I honestly have no idea , O well I'm okay at 10.5.5.
Apologies of I'm telling anyone how to suck eggs but... to my knowledge, System Prefs> Software Update lets you set the Auto Checking frequency. I've found from tough experiences that the only updates worth doing must be done with the Combo Updater method - download it then run it - no matter what version. Hope this helps.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Alright, here's what 10.5.6 does. Syncing should be fine - it doesn't depend on any files changed from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. DFU mode, however, is - by default - disabled due to a series of kernels changed during the upgrade that prevent the iPhone from being seen by the system when it is in DFU. Apparently this was an accidental thing, not intentional on Apple's part, but it can be reversed without downgrading your OS.

Until recently, repairing the kernels involved a lot of work, but since then, there's been an Automator script written called Automator programm Fix_DFU_10_5_6 that does it for you. Before you run it, be sure that you are logged in to your Mac with administrator privileges and you know the administrative password.

When the script runs, it will do the following:
• Check if your machine is running 10.5.6 or higher
• Show a ReadMe file
• Quit all open applications
• Backup the original files in a folder on your Desktop
• Prompt you for the administrative password
• Copy in the new files, set their permissions, rebuilt the kextcache, and reboot your Mac.

Just let it run it's course until your Mac has rebooted. DFU will then be enabled. Download here. Unarchive the file, place the folder it makes on your desktop, open that folder and run the app inside that has an Automator icon. Let the program work, reboot, and when you have finished rebooting, there will be new folder on your desktop called "Backup_IOUSBFamily_kext_10_5_6" which contains the original files - you can either keep or discard these, whichever you like.

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
WORRIED! Problem?

Alright, here's what 10.5.6 does....
When the script runs, it will do the following:
• Check if your machine is running 10.5.6 or higher
• Show a ReadMe file
• Quit all open applications
• Backup the original files in a folder on your Desktop
• Prompt you for the administrative password
• Copy in the new files, set their permissions, rebuilt the kextcache, and reboot your Mac.

Just let it run it's course until your Mac has rebooted. DFU will then be enabled. Download here. Unarchive the file, place the folder it makes on your desktop, open that folder and run the app inside that has an Automator icon. Let the program work, reboot, and when you have finished rebooting, there will be new folder on your desktop called "Backup_IOUSBFamily_kext_10_5_6" which contains the original files - you can either keep or discard these, whichever you like.
Hi Lincoln. I've done all that BUT... the program stopped running after just a few seconds, which is fine, BUT... it didn't tell me the cache was being rebuilt and it didn't reboot my Mac (both of which the program says it will do). The folder with the 2 files backed up is on the desktop. I actually left it all running for 25 minutes thinking it might get around to rebooting but then assumed that was long enough and I rebooted the machine myself.

I ran the program again but it finished again (within a few seconds, again) without those 2 functions I mentioned above.

To check, I went in to the 2 files' locations and the new ones hadn't been put in but the old ones had been removed.

I then manually added the 2 new files (ie, old ones that came with this patch program) and rebooted again.
Now my only worries are:
1. How do I "set owner:group and permissions and rebuild the kextcache" that the program says it would've done if it had run its course?... and
2. How can I check that the whole shebang is running as it should after the alterations?

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Many thanks.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I sent you an email on it - check your inbox.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
Ok so this whole replacing files on Mac blah blah seems too involved. I do want to update and re-jailbreak, so my question is can I update and jailbreak on my Windows machine then sync to the Mac I usually use? Or actually what I want to do is... Update with my Mac THEN use Windows machine and quickpwn to jailbreak, any advice?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Ok so this whole replacing files on Mac blah blah seems too involved. I do want to update and re-jailbreak, so my question is can I update and jailbreak on my Windows machine then sync to the Mac I usually use? Or actually what I want to do is... Update with my Mac THEN use Windows machine and quickpwn to jailbreak, any advice?
You can do that. I did this back before there were any jailbreaking tools for 2.0+ on Mac, with my friend's computer.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
can you enable DFU on the new alum. Machines?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am so pissed off right now at myself for ever upgrading to 10.5.6 on my Mac. Have not been able to jailbreak and am tired of trying. I guess I can try again tomorrow on a windows computer, but do I have to set up my iTunes account there and sync my music and stuff to the pc?