Is location services included in the data plan?

novel83

May 24, 2009
Hi, I bought an iPhone about a month ago, but haven't wanted to turn on "location services," because I don't know if its included in the $30 data plan. After googling it, etc (I admit I didn't read the fine print), I still don't know. Anyone?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Location Services = GPS, which is free, it works off of the global positioning satellites. Programs that use data and location services are covered under the data plan and again...gps is free.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hi, I bought an iPhone about a month ago, but haven't wanted to turn on "location services," because I don't know if its included in the $30 data plan. After googling it, etc (I admit I didn't read the fine print), I still don't know. Anyone?
Location services has to deal with GPS and whether applications can access you location. The maps application won't even locate you if it is turned off. The GPS in the iPhone uses data to find your location faster which is included in your $30 unlimited data since it is data. It is only a service for apps to use, it is not a paid service.

novel83

May 24, 2009
Sweet! Disregarding my patriotic fear of The Man tracking my every move, I'll go ahead and turn on location services! As we all know, finding the nearest Costco is definitely worth it.... ;-)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They don't need location services enabled to track you. Seriously, you'd have to take the battery out to stop them.

novel83

May 24, 2009
They don't need location services enabled to track you. Seriously, you'd have to take the battery out to stop them.
Hehe, yeah.... I was thinking of the Matrix guys google-mapping their way to my secret hideout, where I'll be hunched, living "off the grid," save for my iPhone/ATT bill!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sweet! Disregarding my patriotic fear of The Man tracking my every move, I'll go ahead and turn on location services! As we all know, finding the nearest Costco is definitely worth it.... ;-)
You want to turn this feature off when not using it, as it is a big time battery killer.:)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You want to turn this feature off when not using it, as it is a big time battery killer.:)
I think it makes about 10 minutes worth of difference for me in usage. I leave it on all the time and have not experienced any ill effects to battery life...